+ Reply to Thread

Thread: preserving hackles

Default preserving hackles

My wife got some bantam chickens a few months ago. Out of 14, five were rosters. We only want to keep two of them. The hackles on the ones we want to "get rid of" aren't great, but the tips would work really well for spinner wings and for streamer wings. Is there a way to skin and preserve the hackles or do I just have to pluck them??

A.Pacyna
    once thier old enough Skin and wash with mild soap, then get some 20 mule team borax and cover the skin side to cure. Once the skins are dry store with moth balls. There are a lot of feathers there that can be used, only your Imagenation is the limiting factor.
    Ghost

------------------
    time is like a river running though the world, if you dont take a moment to sit and watch it go by we loose so much. GrayGhost

Hi,

Save all the feathers. Henry Hoffman is doing some incredible things with feathers on the lower leg and knee. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:b3b85]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:b3b85]

These guys are full grown at 8-10 inches tall so I don't expect to get all that many useable feathers from them. The hackles are pointy, wide and short. I should be able to use most of them.

I am planning on doing the deed next weekend. They seem full grown, and one has developed some really nice saddles. (not to mention the constant crowing is getting on my nerves) I found a web site describing how to skin a chiken for meat purposes, but I think I can translate this to what I need. Any one have any suggestions for me?? Thanks,Aaron

The instructions for skinning birds to preserve the feathers is here: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/skinningbirds.html:5674e]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/skinningbirds.html[/url:5674e]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread