+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whiting Hackle Gauge

Default Whiting Hackle Gauge

Yesterday I got a Whiting hackle gauge and it appears that the little post is not centered in relation to the markings thereby giving me two different results depending on where I measure my hackle. Because of the design you measure on the left or right of the gauge as opposed to above like on a Griffin. My post is too far left of the left side markings so you get a slightly different reading side to side.

Yea I know it is only a reference and I could just use a hook or other equivalent but for the $$$ I would have at least expected it would be relatively accurate.

I was wondering if anybody out there that bought one has this same issue or did I just get a defect or what?

I already e-mailed Whiting and am awaiting a response.

The ones I have seen and the ones I own are all accurate. A great tool IMO. I suppose yours sneaked through QC. Just return it for a new one.
    Martin

Whiting responded and a new gauge is on the way!

Last night was a disaster equipment-wise at the bench. My hackle gauge was off and I had a problem with one of my Renzetti bobbins.

So yesterday I e-mailed the place I bought the gauge from, Lines End and I contacted Whiting. I also e-mailed Renzetti about the bobbin. All three companies responded in record time, (less than 12 hours), with offers of resolution to my total satisfaction on items that cost less than $20.

In this day of crummy service I'm delighted and will continue to support companies that support me, the customer.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 18 October 2005).]

I'm with you Bam !!!!! I will always hold on to & support companies that continue to provide excellent customer service !!!
    In these times, I'm afraid such companies (& people) are few & far between. Call me old fashioned, but I miss old values like decent, & honest customer service !!!!!

MR.JML,

I too believe that good customer service, in a competitive arena and given equal quality products, should be rewarded.

Care to be specific what you mean when you say you, "miss old values like decent, & honest customer service"?
    I may not go back as far as you, and I'm only talking about Fly Fishing, but what is it you miss? The shop owners who told you what you had-to-have, or wouldn't answer your phone inquiry, or suggested you travel 2-3 hours to fish when conditions were clearly terrible, or hid the good fly tying stuff, or was always out of stock, or refused to look at a rod with an obvious manufacturers defect, or tried to make fly fishing mysterious, snobbish and belittled what you were using or had? Is that the customer service you mean?

The customer service areas of businesses have, for the most part, improved well beyond what it was. Actually, I can't recall what era it was when customer service, in general, was better than it is today. Sure there are exceptions today but, in the 60s, 70s and 80s good customer service was more the exception than the rule.
    I just love it when people talk about the 'good ole days'. They weren't that good.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 18 October 2005).]

my experiences w/ customer services in the fly tying and fishing realm have all been exceptional. when dealing in a limited small scale market as this yer service and product better be top notch, as word gets out, and you won't be around long.

mgj

In regards to the "good old days" my experience have been the opposite of what tyeflies alluded to.

In this day of internet access I can't begin to tell you how many major manufacturers have simply ignored my e-mail requests for information, catalogs or inquiries on product issues.

I can't tell you how many times I've ordered out of stock items from dealers and never received them or even received an e-mail or phone call telling me why I didn't receive them.

How about inquiring about availability of an out of stock or non-stock item and never getting an answer. Or never even offering to get an item that is either out of stock or a special order.

With the instant access available to all of us I find it totally unacceptable to either wait weeks for a response or receive none at all.

Do you think expecting a customer to pay inbound freight to return a defective product is good service? I don't; not when it's not my fault yet all the major rod manufacturers and many dealers do.

I've had people never respond to me on items from $1.00 to $1000 all because it involved something more than taking it off a shelf and ringing it up. The sad part is until two months ago I didn't have any of these issues until my favorite fly shop closed.

But sadder fact is this isn't just an epidemic of just fly shops or tackle manufacturers but all retail in general; most sales people just don't care anymore and it is so apparent I find it almost impossible to believe anyone feels differently.

In my business the metrics tell me that customer service comes first, pricing second and the loudest and most constant complaints are in the service arena. Unfortunately the bar is very low today; maybe that's why so many companies think they are doing a good job.

If this is an improvement over "the good old days" then getting screwed must be considered the pinnacle of good service today.

The old values of putting the customer first have seemed to have been trampled by the desire to sell more and help less. That's why in my experience; responses like I received from the companies I mentioned in my post above are the exception not the norm.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 18 October 2005).]

Bamboozle:

There are two styles of hackle gauges that you can print out, on FAOL. They are at the end of the FOTW article for "Tying The Catskill Style Light Cahill" submitted by Ron Brown -Montana. They are the Walt Dette (Dry Fly & Stream/Bucktail Gauge, and the DuBois {"The Fisherman's & Fly Tier Gauge"). Both have served me well over the years.

You can print out a copy for yourself at the following url...

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/112904fotw.html:e4a62]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/112904fotw.html[/url:e4a62]

+ Reply to Thread