+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog fur!

Default dog fur!

Ok Fess Up! Has anyone else used the pet brush as a source of dubbing, or is it just me? I had to try it out of curiosity (I'm really not THAT cheap) I have a golden retriever mix that has some pretty soft cream underfur. haven't fished them yet. With my luck the wet dog smell will render a whole winters worth of tying useless if it turns off the trout...

backbeach,

Guilty here too! Golden underfur,depending on shade, good for cahills. Also I've used some for light color nymphs.

Allan

sure - many of us use cat and dog fur. My german shepherd's underfur makes good dubbing and the coarse hairs I use for wings and tails. I dub with the cat hair.

of course.

though it may kill me to use cat fur dubbing. that shlitz is murder on my respiratory system.

mgj

Yup, Airedale dubbing is a great mix of brown and black with some great spikiness.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Blog Entries

Yep , dog , cat , a very reluctant parrot, even made a Doc Sprately from my friend Dan's hair clippings , we called it the Dan Sprately , it worked amazingly well .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

The last time I looked at shipping costs for some materials I bought, I started checking out the dog as an alternate source. He's starting to get suspicious.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

What scares me about these posts is that somewhere there is a fly tyer who actually has dog and cat pelts hidden away for tying purposes. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Me too, although I tend to get it from the source, not the brush! I do find though that Labrador Retriever hair is naturally water resistant, so it's not that great for nymphs, but it does make fairly good tailing on small drys. I've got a stripped gray (dun) cat that makes excellent sow bugs and scuds, very spikey/buggy looking, although it is getting much harder to catch him as lately when he sees me coming at him with scissors he takes off at mach 1. I've discovered that even a fat, overweight cat can run quite rapidly!

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach

[This message has been edited by Darryl (edited 13 October 2005).]
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Got me a few baggies from our last dog that I hord. It is extremely good for nymphs, and the new dog is a different breed and color.

Don
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread