+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phantom Midges

Default Phantom Midges

Are there any decent patterns for this? I've read that its quite common in stillwaters and form a large part of fish's diet yet are very difficult to immitate because of its transparent nature.

thanks.

Tie the body with mylar tinsel and use a fine thread as a rib, that way most of the body look transparent.

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

How about a thread or tisel under body coated with epoxy?

I would think the hardest part would be to make the hook transparent. Maybe a silver colored hook is available?
    You'd probably have to make up a pattern for it. I'm not able to find details concerning what size these things are. But, I'd try the silver mylar on the shank, then some monofilament for bulk, then epoxy over that to blend it all. The tail is fanned out, so you could probably use some flash for that. You should place a brownish dot under the thorax section and one near the tail before you use the epoxy.
    Here's a great picture I found on the web,

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 01 October 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

MOturkE, that's the bugger! What really annoys me is that I suspect my (blood) leader knots do a pretty good immitation of them. I occasionally see fish pecking at my leader.

Scroll all the way to the bottom.
    [url=http://www.customflys.com/JohnG.htm:e5c17]http://www.customflys.com/JohnG.htm[/url:e5c17]

Wouldn't an english epoxy buzzer pattern with a white painted hook not imitate one of these??
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

One of the patterns comeing out in the Sno-Fly III Swap uses chartreause saltwater tensil (glo-in-the dark), & clear spider thread (mono) tied over that.
    Clear Mercury bead. Cover body with light coat of softex. Now, you can play around with that using opalescent marage tensil (small), pearlescent... or any type, again remember to overwrap with the clear spider thread & coat with softex. I have just now started playing around with the transparent Glo-in-the dark midges (Juan Shot, & Saint Juan's Ghost). Again, experiment with how much transparency you want. I suppose you can use a straight spider thread (or very light) mono wrap. This is what gives you the segmentation. I have even used a blue tensil with mono overwrap (or even straight blue as on my #32 Blue lightning midge). You will still find certain colors in even the most transparent of your midge larva !!!!!

Thanks for the pattern ideas! Those stillwater rainbows are starting to clue in on my go-to's and are getting harder to fool. I figure phantom midges are something they haven't had tossed at them.

Hey FF,

This pattern might work for a phantom midge. Just found it browsing through the FAOL tying archives.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/052002fotw.html:21056]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/052002fotw.html[/url:21056]

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread