+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceramic Bobbins

4 of em,kids and bobbins of ceramic,Floors and or kids hav'nt broken nary a 1.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. Fly fishers often refer to Fox Statler as "out of the box." The truth is that I never got in the proverbial "box." I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

2. Default

I'm with Ron on the longevity of the Ceramic bobbins. I have Tiemco's and Griffin's. I won't do without atleast one of the models on my bench or tying box.

Thanks for the input!

Bamboozle:

You must have developed a great touch having used non-ceramic bobins for so long. My uncle has been tying since he was a boy scout 40 years ago and he too keeps things pretty simple. As a result, he's developed an amazing touch for handling materials that I can't imagine developing myself with the tools I use.

NJFG:

Beats me how come my bobbins never get a groove in them or cut thread. Maybe because I have so many because I'm too lazy to swap thread spools.

I really swear by the Matterelli long tubes; maybe they are better than the rest of the standard bobbins out there? Two of them I have them are ancient; 25 years old at least. Before I put carpeting down at my tying station I dropped one on the concrete and put a minor nick in the end of the tube. I polished it out with a Dremel polishing point and some compound and it is good as new.

Some people are just hard on stuff. I know a guy who wore out a Matterelli whip finishing tool. He told me it wasn't the first time it happened to him. Wore a cut right into the metal. My whip finishing tool is as old as dirt and good as new.

Go figure...

I own several brands of ceramic bobbins and have dropped them all more times than I can count. Never has a one cracked or broke. When it comes to adjusting the tension, I usually use two pliers to prevent placing stress on the weld.

I find with a ceramic bobbin that my thread rarely breaks. Breakage is usually the result of applying to much pressure on the thread.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread