+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb new guy question

Default Dumb new guy question

Just started tying. I fish salt and my son-in-law has been tying my streamers for me. I want to join even though my eyes are somewhat shot. Here are some dumb questions that I'm not too afraid to ask since everyone out there seems to be a good bunch of guys and gals.

1. What is the difference between bucktail and deer hair?

2. For streamers, what size and/or type of thread is best.

I know there will be some disagreement, so take it easy on the new guy and thanks in advance.
    dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

dc,

Bucktail will sink.

Deer hair (body hair) is hollow
    and has air in it. Hence it will float.

I use 6/0 UNI-Thread and have had good luck.
    Although 3/0 and 8/0 do work good.

------------------
    **MW**

Bucktail comes from the tail of a deer, is hair, and it will sink when soaked.

Deer (body) hair comes from the hide of a deer, is hollow with trapped air, and will float.

Thread size for me depends on the size of the fly and the type of materials that I am tying. For most streamers, I will use other sizes but I prefer 6/0. If the materials do not require a lot of thread tension, I use standard 6/0 nylon tying thread but I will occasionally use polyester sewing (machine embroidery) thread for some larger flies. I may use Kevlar (usually 3/0) thread, if I have it, for materials (like spinning or stacking deer body hair) that require more tension.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

dscapuano,

Not dumb at all.

Bucktail - Obvious answer. The location from whence they came. I'm just guessing that a buck's tail is larger than a doe's is. Bucktail is longer and much less 'hollow'. Therefore it's not very bouyant. Deer hair, meaning from parts other than the tail, can be short and fine to long and coarse, Depends on where on the body it's from and time of year the deer was taken. Hair from different parts, and at different times of year, will determine whether it is good for dry fly wings, dyeing and spinning. Deer tails are predominantly used for streamers, salmon flies and wet flies.

As far as thread size for streamers goes, I generally use 6/0. For large salt water patterns, which I do not tie, I imagine tyers use 6/0, 3/0, maybe stronger and or kevlar. The size or strength of the thread would also depend on the materials being used.

Hope this helps.

Allan

Another vote for 3/0.

The stronger thread may also help you as a beginner break less thread till you get the hang of things.

Apoliges to Mr. Castwell and others but in my opinion kevlar is too strong for most SW flies.
    Torque it too much and it will cut right through materials like bucktail and even lead eyes. Don't even think about it for foam.
    Save the kevlar for making whipped loops in your lines.
    Regular 3/0 is fine.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Good lighting and an uncluttered, neutral background (light blue, green or tan) will help your vision, and ability to tie, immensely.

Blog Entries

If you think your questions are dumb, dscapuano, then be prepared to chuckle a bit at my expense. When I started tying flies, I had a Boy Scout fly tying kit. I had read about deer hair bugs, but I didn't realize that they were tied with deer body hair. To me, all "deer hair" was bucktail. I couldn't make that stuff flare-out properly for anything. I broke thread. I even broke hooks, but to no avail. It wasn't until years later that I learned of my mistake. I've had quite a few "adventures" over the years, but I still enjoy tying flies. Have fun and don't worry if your flies don't look like the ones on the web. If it bothers you, I suppose that I could upload some pictures of MY flies and then you could feel MUCH better about your own efforts.
    Have fun, Ed

Thanks everyone!!!
    I learn more on this bulletin board than all the books and magazines put together.
    dc

Haven't posted in a while. Football season is in full swing with younger son starting highschool ball and my self still coaching youts. Fact or fiction I thoought it was a matter of anatomy? For the same reason that some of the first fly lines were Stallion tail and not Mare. Urine breaks down the hair and makes it brittle and hard to consistantly dye. Deer hair is usually from the belly and is hollow and there fore warmer for the animal, and greater floatability for tying.

+ Reply to Thread