+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Premium Peacock Herl

Default Premium Peacock Herl

Not sure if it was this message board but some had posted pictures of some really nice peacock herl. The barbs were very long.

Does anyone have a source for nice peacock herl?

Thanks.

classic,

Every show I go to I look for quality peacock eye feathers from which I want to get quality herl. No luck. Not sure why that is unless the people who raise these birds just pluck them before they get prime, the birds aren't eating food that support feather growth, the people raising them are not interested in breeding for plume feather quality, or some other reason.

Best I can suggest is to get the eye feathers and use the herl from the eye to about 12 inches down. When you buy packs of 'peacock herl' or 'strung peacock herl' you get junk.

You might try ebay. Type in 'peacock eye feathers'. There are a lot of auctions for different quantities but make sure the item includes the stem.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 03 October 2005).]

I buy the eyed feathers from this site. Been very happy with them. Good prices too.
    [url=http://www.tonyhill.net/:352f2]http://www.tonyhill.net/[/url:352f2]

------------------------

Send me an addy. There is some stuff laying around here that we have picked up at one of the ranches we serve. We tie few trout bugs sooooo.....there is usually some excess.
    ....lee s.

Would'nt buy eyes from Cabela's ever again....Puny and very sad quality...Most feathers I feel should only be purchased when and where you can get your hand on them...and know for certian that it's what you want and need...Whenever possible I but skins whole and complete...I had a neighbor once who had three peacocks...and I talked him out of one of them......sadly I'm now getting low again.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. Fly fishers often refer to Fox Statler as "out of the box." The truth is that I never got in the proverbial "box." I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Our local Zoo has Peacocks running around loose. On my annual treck I pick up a few, they also sell the eyes in the gift shop, these are far better than anything I've seen in any of the local 4 fly shops. So maybe try your local Zoo.

------------------
    George

+ Reply to Thread