+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Rods and More Expensive Bamboo

"If you're a good enough fly fisher to buy a $800-$1000 rod you should be able to cast both just as well, right?"
    Boy, did you say a mouthful there 7star.
    Many new FF'ers believe that because they spend that much on a rod, they will be able to cast it well. Many good casters, that like you say, can cast both well, no longer spend for performance, but either spend less or spend more for personal gratification through the aquisition of very fine equipment. It's what they like, not what they need.
    Does anyone know if they produce a grass rod that one would feel secure with doing dorado and other SW targets?
    ....lee s.

Interesting post. A really good drummer can make a cheap set of drums sound good, a really bad drummer can make a very expensive set of drums sound bad. Good photographers can get great photos out of ordinary camera equipment.
    It's not how long the rope is, it's how you dangle the bucket!

7Star,

I have never snaped my Arm Casting any Fly Rod weither or not it was Graphite or Bamboo,it's a smooth stroke for me.Fast Action Rods to begin with a generally for Large Rivers but many will argue!I've had people tell me Fast Action Rods are good for small Streams and short Casts when others swear by Large Rivers and use Med Flex-Full Flex for small Rivers and Streams.I have you ever Cast a Bamboo Rod??If so what type of line did you use?I Cast Sci-Anglers,Cortland and Wulff Triangle Taper Lines and can say it wasn't all good feel until I got Cortland Sylk!Wulff Lines were ok but Sylk felt so much better!The bigger Diameter Lines I feel over Rods the Bamboo Rod.While Sylk being a smaller diameter was the perfect match for my Rods.So what I'm basically telling you is to Cast a Bamboo Rod with either Silk or Sylk Line to see the difference in Rod Performance when Casting Bamboo.Bamboo takes getting used to but when you hear your Rod,you'll be Casting Tight Loops just like any Graphite Rod.If you like Graphite,try Casting a Quadrate Rod.Alot say that that's the closest you can get to Graphite but that's just Opinions!In all,I think it's just about Casting style and preference as you stated.

I made some mistakes so will clarify them.

The bigger Diameter Lines I feel over Rods the Bamboo Rod

The bigger diameter Lines I feel overload the Bamboo Rod.

DVC,
    I'm a little curious what you meant by your post. No offense taken, but do you mean that a good salesman can sell a bad product. I am of the school of thought that "The best products will sell themselves." Kusse's rods will be in demand forever. Sage's top of the line, will by and by, be replaced by something new. I would love to own both, but if given one option, I'll take Ron's sticks every time.
    And I think Rolemodel has it right. Put Sylk on all your grass rods.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

[This message has been edited by LotechJoe (edited 24 March 2005).]

More thoughts. Please!

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

LotechJoe, no offense meant.
    I think I may gotten off ot the subject a bit.
    I agree that good products will sell themselves, but certainly there are plenty of bad products sold as well.
    Basically, I was alluding to the fact that a good fly caster should be able to cast either graphite or bamboo, fast or slow action. Not that I could.
    Sorry for the confusion, not sure how I got off the subject so badly.

DVC,

I think anyone who knows how to correctly Cast is gonna be able to adjust to the Action Rod they Cast no matter what Action it is.The most ackward part of adjusting will be the first time Casting the Rod,once you get the feel for Action the timing will automatically come.Like I said in my other Post reguarding the Topic of Graphite-Bamboo,Lines are just as important as our preference of Rod your Casting."I feel" the Line is what makes your Rod perform it's right actions!I love Sci-Anglers Mastery Lines and Wulff Lines!Cortland is ok but cracks to easy even when you maintence the Line.I always clean my Lines for better Shootability,Performence and longer Line life.I recently Bought Orvis Wonderline Advantage",I was in a rush and the only Fly Shop in the Area I was Fishing was a Orvis Endorsed Store".That Lines was a waste of my Money as of now.I'm fishing in Cold-"Spring" Weather and the line seems to become very stiff making it a uncomfortable Casting experience which I have never experienced with Sci-Anglers,Wulff and Cortland Lines in Cold Weather!So Lines do matter and no matter what Line you use or have used.I'm sure everyone has found a Line that they feel Performs best for you Rods.

I believe any experienced good caster can cast any rod. However, that doesn't mean we enjoy casting any/all rods. Rods are a very personal thing, and why we like one rod over other is just as personal.

I'll add to that, casting a rod, and fishing a rod are two different things.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

10. Default

Fast/Slower materials issue.....as already noted.
    Fast rods handle sink tips, sinking lines & shooting heads better and more flyfisherman are using them.
    The main reason bamboo cost's more is.........hand workmanship from small builders.
    I will take graphite as a whole or glass in lighter weights. I do appreciate the workmanship and tradition in bamboo.

+ Reply to Thread