+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Hive or alternative

Default Fly Hive or alternative

OK, here's what I need... a way to carry around and keep organized my hackle, chenille, tools, threads, head cement, flash, hooks, etc. that I take out weekly to tie out of the house. This wouldn't be the stuff I keep at home mostly. My vise is a Montana Mongoose and has a case of its own that I already like and it's on a pedestal for travel. It would also be great if I could carry along a tying light in the same case. I've seen Allan (tyeflies) with his rolling case and I'm looking for something a lot smaller that I can carry easily in one hand. The other hand is for my coffee mug.

Last year I carried everything loose in an old daypack and ruined some hackle and tangled up some flash. I'm a slob.

The Fly Hive looks to be the right idea but yes, it's pricey. I'd be willing to spend that amount if it were the best way to go. Has anyone got a better or different recommendation or an endorsement of the Fly Hive?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Diane

------------------
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane,
    I think there's been a fairly recent thread discussing this so I suspect you'll get a lot of responses but here's what I think works...[I'm not at home right now or I'd include some photos.]

For a case to carry I use a briefcase type...mine is canvas with several pockets....they are all over the place in various sizes and configurations....you can find something at thrift stores too.

To organize materials etc. IMO the zipper type ziplocs are great....I have gone so far as to combine them with ring binder type rings..[ala Henry Hoffman]...very versatile and inexpensive.

BTW...nice hat...

I too use a old hardside briefcase that works well but am limited as to the amount of materials. It sounds as though your looking for something more versatile. You could try one of those carry on bags with wheels and retractable handle. They come in various sizes. I am sure you could find Plano boxes that would fit inside it for smaller materials.
    Just a thought.

I have a few materials in an accordian style file box for traveling. It keeps things flat and in order. However, it's not waterproof, so everything still goes into ziploc bags first. Everything can be organized in any alpha or numeric method using the included file tab labels.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I have been using a heavy denier Rubbermaid tool bag. It has a bottom that holds a big size plano box. You can lay several ziplocks on top of that. My Dyna-king and pedestal also fit in the botom. The 2 zippered top sections have elastic straps that will hold stuff. I modified some of them to hold hackle, bought a clear plastic tube that holds thread and a small leather zipper pouch that hold my tools. All about the size of the doctor bag you see on old TV and movies. Found at ***mart

+ Reply to Thread