+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Swaps

Default Fly Swaps

Since I am new to the concept of Fly Swaps, I only understand the general idea. So can some one explain the process in detail. If I understood it better I think I might like to particpate.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

Author Topic: how swaps work
    gill123
    Member posted 14 July 2004 06:19 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am wondering how swaps work, and the steps you have to go through to set one up. From what i understand, you post that you are starting one, and then you tie up your flies and send them to the people in the swap. Is this correct? I am confused how everyone knows where to send the flies.
    IP: Logged

phatkid248
    Member posted 14 July 2004 06:50 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok, this is how they work. they are started by the "swap meister". he/she comes up with a category for the swap i.e. "saltwater flies". the swap meister is also an active participant in the swap. then he opens the swap to any number of people that he wants, typically around 12. then any one that wants to join, signs up and posts the name of the fly that they will tie. then they all tie up one fly for each person, including the swap meister, but not including themselves. all of the flies are sent to the swap meister, along with a few extra flies for the swapmeister as a sign of appreciation for his/her efforts. they are sent in a crush proof container, with the money and an envelope to get them back them. then once the swap meister recieves all of the entries, then he divides them up and sends each person their package of flies. wow, i never thought about how much goes on in these things. i run a bunch of swaps. look for me to start a new one in the next couple of weeks. your welcome to join.
    tight lines
    jeff

p.s. swaps are for all tiers, regardless of skill level, so don't be discouraged to enter one, based on your level of tying. of course i'm not saying that you are inexperienced.

phatkid248
    Member posted 14 July 2004 06:52 PM
    oh one thing that i forgot is that the swap meister sets a due date to sign up and a due date to have the flies in the mail. the date to have the flies in the mail is usually about a month, but could be more or less, based on the feelings of the group.

flytire
    Member posted 15 July 2004 07:31 AM
    You can also send a self addressed stamped envelope without sending money. Postage should range from .75 cents to a dollar (each way) for the lower U.S. except for overseas and Canada. I usually use something like a Sucrets or Altoids tin box for small fly swaps and get creative for large fly swaps. I also use those padded manilla folder colored envelopes in 2 sizes. A large on that fits the self addressed stamped envelope with the box inside and a small one for the return trip.
    Extra flies for the swapmeister is a nicety not a requirement (I usually send a couple extra).

------------------
    Norm

[This message has been edited by flytire (edited 15 July 2004).]

Lotech-Joe
    Member posted 15 July 2004 08:00 AM
    pk248,
    Your swaps sound like fun. When you submit your flies, do you send along a recipe for that fly? I might be enticed to join your next swap. Depending on the catagory of course.
    Yours,

------------------
    Lotech Joe

phatkid248
    Member posted 15 July 2004 08:54 AM
    for the most part, people submit what is called a toe tag on the flies. it is just a little piece of paper attached to the hook that has the name of the fly and their bulletin board name, and maybe their real name. then they post the recipe of the fly on the bulletin board.
    what kind of swaps would you be interested in joining. i'll see what i can do.

popnbug
    Member posted 15 July 2004 09:13 AM
    Just make sure that when you run a swap, you actually send the flies to the participants.
    I joined the first one I saw back in February, and the 'swap-meister' never sent the flies out... ever!

I sent him a post card, because he'd stopped responding on the B-Board! He finally responded and had some excuse, and promised to send them out, but never has.

It is a disappointment, to say the least... I get tears just thinking about it!

------------------
    PoPnBuG (aka Michael)
    Good fishing and good flies are matter of only two perspectives--yours and the fish's! -A.K.Best

phatkid248
    Member posted 15 July 2004 09:18 AM
    who was the swap meister

gill123
    Member posted 15 July 2004 11:50 AM
    Thanks for the info

gill123
    Member posted 15 July 2004 12:07 PM
    One more question, how do you get the address of the swap meister to send your flies to him?

NoahsBoyz
    Member posted 15 July 2004 12:24 PM
    Gill,
    We either post it on the BB or e-mail it. Keeping people up to date on the swap is also a swapmeister function, so having current e-mail addresses makes it easy for us.

REE

Lotech-Joe
    Member posted 15 July 2004 06:03 PM
    pk248,
    I would be mostly in favor of Western Dries. There aren't too many flies I'm good enough at tying to give away. EHC, as with probably most everyone else, is most likely my easiest fly to tie.
    If your going for nymphs, the BHPT is my favorite. Your choice of course.
    Yours,

------------------
    Lotech Joe

RG/AR
    Member posted 15 July 2004 08:20 PM
    There was one post about containers for fly swaps. I'd like to put in MHO about containers for large flies. I like VHS cassette boxes, they're large enought to hold a dozen of almost anything, cheap (about 50 cents), and durable.

TXBuzz
    Member posted 16 July 2004 06:36 AM
    I agree with the VHS cassette tape cases. I use them, but I have had some trouble getting foam to stick to the bottoms of the cases. I tried super glue, but the foam just peeled right off. Any suggestions?
    Also, alot of people use small tins like Altoids for smaller flies in swaps.

kengore
    Member posted 16 July 2004 07:08 AM
    TXbuzz, I have hade good results using carpet tape for attaching foam to boxes. This is a 2" wide cloth or film tape that is sticky on both sides, avialable at most hardware stores. Easy to cut to size and can be removed if you need to change the foam after a while. I have also used rubber cement, but it's more hassle.

TXBuzz
    Member posted 16 July 2004 08:28 AM
    Kengore,
    Thanks for the tip. I work for a trade show company so we have tons of carpet and carpet tape to go with it. I will give it a try.

Thanks!

gill123
    Member posted 17 July 2004 02:45 PM
    Thanks for all of the info guys. I have joined my first swap.

All times are PST (US)

I am the Swapmeister of the "Beginner's Only Fly Swaps", which is 6 monthly swap that I run from October thru March. Coming up to the last swap for the 3rd season, but will be starting a new "Beginner's Only" group this fall, will be posting on the Fly Swap Board sometime in the late summer.

I am cutting back on the number of groups I will be hosting this fall, this season I have 40 members, divided into 4 groups. So if you want in on my swaps, do not hesitate, when I post the opening.

Swapmeister Parnelli

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open for a swap that I would be interested in.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    Hickory, MS

The only down side to swaps, that I have seen, is having to wait for the flies to arrive! The anticipation is tremendous! It's like Christmas, the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy all wrapped up in one! Someone should also warn you, Wooly, swaps are highly addictive!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have to agree - swaps can be addictive. I am a member of Parnelli's Beginners Olny Swap this year and have enjoyed it a lot. It has gotten me to stretch my tying ability as I tried new flies. I have also gotten in on about 6 other swaps here. It's amazing how much you can improve your ability by doing this. Plus it's great to see what other people do for flies. I have dozens of new patterns that I want to try now.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

Addictive? You bet! I entered my first swap last summer and have been in a dozen or more since. While some of my fellow swappers will get a belly laugh on this one, you'll learn you are a better tyer than you thought. A confidence factor. You'll also get very good at tying a particular pattern. A practice factor. You'll learn a great deal about that pattern and others like it in your research, i.e., the recent Tom Nixon swap. A learning factor. You'll make friends with similar interests all over the world, i.e, the recent pike swap. A global fraternity factor. You'll learn what it is like being a kid again as you watch for updates on the swapper board and anticipate receiving your flies. A kid-at-Christmas factor. There is a tendency once you are hooked on swaps of joining in too many at once. At one point about a month or so ago I was scrambling to fulfill my obligations to five separate swaps. An intellence factor. Swaps are a great way of going beyond your mental boundaries, i.e, the ice fly and plastics swaps. Don't be afraid of stretching your creativity or of trying something new and incredibly bizzaire. A stepping out of the box factor. Of all the beauties of this virtual fly shop, the swaps have been among the best. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 26 March 2005).]

Wooly, you can not go wrong getting in on Steven's swaps, you will have a lot of fun and you will learn a lot. He is the best swapmeister I have worked with IMHO. And like Betty said the anticipation is tremendous. I am waiting for flies from the swap now. I look forward to them. There are a lot of real good tiers in the swap. John

------------------
    I wish you everlasting flies and tight lines.
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Thanks every one. I'll keep my eyes open. And again, I appreciate the replies.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    Hickory, MS

+ Reply to Thread