+ Reply to Thread

Thread: March 16, 2024

Default March 16, 2024

Left the Micros alone. Went to try for my first Bowfin of the year. Caught one, lost one.:Caught some Green Sunfish and a Bluegill. Tried for Common Carp for way too long. It was extremely windy, and strike detection on fish in 6" of muddy water was nearly impossible. I had 4 carp hooked up, but I think all or most were probably foul-hooked. None were landed.Then I saw a Silver Carp. I managed to get it to eat the fly at least 3 times, but each time it spit it faster than I could set the hook. In frustration, I finally just snagged it with the fly. Don't judge me!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Never saw or heard of a silver carp before. Nice going Dave. Snagger, snagger, snagger!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBug View Post
    Never saw or heard of a silver carp before. Nice going Dave. Snagger, snagger, snagger!
    Ouch! I deserve that. I don't condone it. Since they are considered non-native invasives, snagging is a legal way to catch them. I still hate that I did it, but I did it. It did eat the fly several times, tho! Silver Carp and Bighead Carp area also named/grouped as "Asian Carp", since they originate from China. Perhaps you've heard them called that? I've landed around 6 so far. 2 of them actually ate a #10 olive woolly bugger. But typically they are primarily assumed to be plankton feeders that won't hit lures/flies. But it used to be thought Grass Carp and Common Carp wouldn't strike flies either...and we know that is not true!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread