+ Reply to Thread

Thread: January 26-27, 2024

Default January 26-27, 2024

Drove the 6.5 hours from St Louis to west-central Arkansas to fish with a buddy. He'd previously scoped out the location, and the plan was to get me my first Striped Bass on fly, and hopefully get both of us our first Blue Catfish on fly. Goals were achieved, despite the cool wet weather and the water being more muddied up than usual.I didn't catch big numbers of fish, but they were strong fighters. I caught 5 Freshwater Drum, 4 Striped Bass, (3 French Hens), 2 Blue Catfish, 1 White Bass, 1 Largemouth Bass.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Looked like a worthwhile trip. You knocked out some good looking fish meeting your goal. Dennis

Blog Entries

Default Great fishing trip

Looks like you had a fantastic fishing trip. What weight rod were you using?Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks Dennis! Yes, some healthy fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Looks like you had a fantastic fishing trip. What weight rod were you using?Larry ---sagefisher---
    I used a 6wt, two 8wts, and a 9 wt. I caught all the fish on the 9 wt rod. Those Drum especially had that Fast Action 9 wt COMPLETELY DOUBLED OVER! Crazy how strong they are! Freshwater Drum don't get much respect from anglers.... but I think they're great! The stripers and cats all fought very well on the 9wt too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice group of fish.
    Rick

Those cats looked like they were feeding well or had too much beer to get those extended bellies. Dennis

Thanks, Rick!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBug View Post
    Those cats looked like they were feeding well or had too much beer to get those extended bellies. Dennis
    ha ha, YES! It was definitely one (or both?) of those 2 options! Lots of threadfin shad were around...plenty of good food for these fish.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

David - as always, great pictures and fishing!
    iaflyfisher

Quote Originally Posted by iaflyfisher View Post
    David - as always, great pictures and fishing!
    Thanks, Dale!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread