+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An American Institution

Default An American Institution

When tying that All-American favourite the Woolly Bugger, do you prefer a cock or a hen hackle or do you use both at different times or sizes.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Blog Entries

Donald,
    I prefer a soft, webby, rooster hackle. Chinese rooster necks have the type of hackle that I like to use on my woolies and they are very affordable.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I like rooster saddles because I like the taper of the barbules, the length and I have a great source for reasonably cheap patches in lots of different colors.

Donald, sometimes I use burned spey hackle, gets long & flowing, enticing a strike. I like using it on egg-sucking leeches as well. Jamie

------------------
    Tight Lines & Big Smiles
    Take A Kid Fishing!!!
    Take a Kid Fishing. HECK, take ME Fishing(and my kids,LOL)

Use alot of different types and keep a whole drawer of my downstream chest box solely for wooly buggers and boogers,Sometimes the fish want em a little woolier than they did the previeous day....It always pays to be able to bend to their will...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Soft hen hackle . I get more motion from the fly. Great streamer. Same goes for my wet flies and soft hackles. I like to save the stiff rooster for dries.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I'm with Dixieangler here, soft hen hackle. The harder hackle tends to propeller flies in fast water and when false casting, and the softer hackle seems to lend more motion.

I get more hits on the buggers I tied with soft hen hackle than with rooster hackle.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

+ Reply to Thread