+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does it matter

Hybrid View

Default Does it matter

I'm talking about wings on dry flies. We have hackle tips, duck feathers, deer hair divided, comparaduns, wally wings, wonder wings, poly yarn, calf hair and parachute posts in natural and odd colors. I know I missed some. Does it make any difference to a fish what the wing looks like? I believe that the wings on mayfly imitation are for the fisherman. They make us think our fly is more realistic or is easier to follow. All the fish sees is something sticking up in about the right place.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Tyers try to use materials and tying techniques to imitate, as close as they can, the insect.

Good question. parachute, paraloop, and hay stacker flies also catch fish.
    Rick

Blog Entries

I believe, in some cases it does.There are really only a few things the fisher can control: identify the hatch, read the water for likely feeding spots, make good fly presentations, and use the best fly he has to meet the hatch.The ?best fly? is the one whose size, shape, action, and color most closely resemble the insect which the trout are feeding on. The wing style chosen should be location appropriate. The speed of the water may require a certain style of fly and wing. In slow water,a no hackle fly may be best. In fast water, a heavily hacked upwing may be best.Some insects are best imitated with traditional upwings. Some with a Compara style. Some with duck slips, and still others with a split mallard flank feather.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-25-2024 at 03:50 AM.

Default Do Wings Matter

In my experience they do. The biggest and best hatches around me are the BWOs, Sulfurs, Midges, Tricos, and Caddis. There are certain stages in each cycle of the bugs. I've fished sulfurs when they wouldn't nothing but comparaduns or parachutes, or classic-style dry flies. You can add emergers, cripples, etc. to that list. Through a hatch you are using only, say comparaun-style flies, there are always fish willing to eat, but not as many. You also need to consider spinners. You can make it as simple or complicated as you desire. JMO

Talking

Swisher and Richards promoted mayfly dries without hackle . To some degree they felt the emphasis was on the wing and body. However it wasn't the only style they used. I suppose if the fish takes a fly with wings MAYBE YOU needed them. If he takes one without wings then you didn't NEED them. It' always fun trying different stuff.

+ Reply to Thread