+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boar Bristles

Default Boar Bristles

I have been to a fly fishing fair today, and noticed a guy there selling 'Wild Boar Bristles'. They were extremelly course, thick bristles, which looked remarkably like the bristles off a long sweeping broom.

They are about 5" long and have split ends and I suppose would make good antenaes, or maybe tails.

Would there be any use for these? Does anyone use them?

[This message has been edited by mickporter (edited 24 September 2005).]
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Do a search on the main Keyword Search for
    Peccary. Al Campbell used it, as well as other tiers. There are 6 flies using it at least.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Mick,

I was given a supply of these, taken from the ridge and collar of hunted 'Javelina' (collared peccary) and I've spent some time playing with them. The ones I have are a mottled black and white. They can be used wherever you want that mottled black/white color. They also seem to be quite bouyant.

I've used them for body material on large dry flies, atennae on crawfish imitations, tails on various bugs, knotted legs, etc..

So far, they look good and hold up well. I've found that they can be easily colored with markers. If you want to make a wrapped body (or tie a knot in it) with one you need to soak it first (similar to using a quill body), and apply some lacquer to it after it dries.

Nice and versatile natural material.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:ef0ad]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:ef0ad]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I've got some experience with peccary, and it's a great tying material. Buddy hit up a lot of great uses for it. Wild boar like you're describing is considerably longer and probably more coarse than peccary. Give it a good long soak and it would probably great for tying bigger nymphs.

Hello Mick,

Another relatively inexpensive source for boar bristles is a boar bristle shaving brush. Stiffer than a badger brush. You might have one of these shaving brushes around the house or attic. You can easily snip off what you need. Should be enough for a couple of hundred flies at least in one brush.

Just an idea. DO a search for boar bristle shaving brushes on google. Lots of places.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Stayed Dry in Plano

+ Reply to Thread