+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly tying material swap

Default fly tying material swap

I am going to be going to South Dakota this year pheasant hunting in a month or so. I was wondering if there was a few people interested in swapping some pheasant tails/feathers for some other fly tying materials, hooks etc. you might have. Each year my father and I average between 20 and 30 pheasants. We clean them ourselves and I have enough pheasant feathers for myself to last for a very, very long time. Usually I'll bring a few tail feathers home for my kids, but otherwise these feathers goto waste. If there are a few people interested I would be willing to bring some tail feathers home for some kind of trade. I'm not real fussy, I just started tying and don't have alot of other materials or hooks or even a couple of your lucky flies would be fine. I don't need a lot, just something to help keep me busy during the winter. I'm more interested in seeing something going to good use than going to waste. They are some beautiful birds with beautiful feathers that need to go to somebody who will appreciate and use them. you can email mee at: crayszj@novagate.com be sure to include something about fly tying in the subject line so my spam filter doesn't accidently delete your e-mail. Thanks Jim

------------------

Hi Jim.......I can use some of those beautiful feathers! Very nice of you to offer. Im sure we can work something out in trade....just let me know what you need and I'll see what I have around. E-mail coming....thanks...Jason

dogbert1918;
    First, Welcome Aboard!! Good to see another Michigander on here!

Same here, I have a couple of friends that trap and come up with some nice pieces of fur. Gladly make a trade.

P.S. Check out the AuSable "River Fish-In" post slated for next August. You are invited.

FYI, This is not a card carrying, dues paying "Club"!! The fact that you have visited makes you a member!
    Hope to hear more from you.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I would love to get some of those pheasant capes and tail feathers. I am down here in South GA and we don't have any wild pheasants. I could come up with duck flank feathers which are useful in many dry fly patterns, peacock herl, and many others. I'll send you an e-mail so we can discuss specifics but count me in.

dogbert1918;

Good to have ya join in on the fun!! I am hoping to get my share of them ditch parrots myself at the end of October and into November this year, but who knows. . .

I was wondering how you collect the feathers? Do you actually skin the birds, or do you pluck them?

(edit)
    You might want to add your name to the 'swap box' list on the fly swap board. Then you could trade a skin or bunch of feathers for something outta the box!

Don
    (Down in Neberaska)

[This message has been edited by drolfson (edited 20 September 2005).]
    Don Rolfson

OK, its looks like some people are interested so I'll plan on bringing back as many as I can. The season doesn't open until Oct. 15 and I'll be there a week plus travel time and down time, but I'll be sure to contact everybody once I get back and put up another posting, so wish me luck!!

one quick question, normally we skin the birds and I'm not quite sure what the cape is, can somebody give me an idea of what to collect? thanks

Keep the skin whole there is alot of useful parts on them.
    I would love to be in this swap, what ever you are looking for let me know.

+ Reply to Thread