+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook Sizes

Default Hook Sizes

As I ordered yet another 100 package of Daiichi 1180 hooks and picked up a 25 pack to hold me over; I realized that I really burn through certain hook sizes while other sizes languish, "just in case". I am not a commercial tier but I do tie a minimum quantity of 16 of each pattern when I sit down to tie.

I was wondering; based on your preferences and local bugs etc; what model and size hook do you go though the most and why? For me it has to be Daiichi 1180 size 16 and Daiichi 1110 size 20 to the tune of several hundred a year; (don?t laugh commercial tiers out there); followed by Daiichi 1120 size 22-26 and TMC 2488 at about 200+ each a year. The reason is I tie a lot of terrestrials especially beetles and bees and only tie one size; 16. Caddis and Sulphurs also account for lots of size 16?s. The little stuff is for midges, BWO?s and Tricos the other ?big? hatches in my neck of the woods.

What about you?

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 19 September 2005).]

I go through sizes 10 and 12 the fastest because I tie mostly for warmwater.

I'd say 6-10 mostly, for warm water. I have some 18's that I got for trout this last June, I may use again after Oct for C&R stocked trout here. I don't buy in bulk, though.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

TMC 102Y #15, with Partridge SLD #14 as an alternative, for CDC&Elk (mostly) as well as other patterns. I love these hooks!

Other popular hooks: TMC 2488 or Mustad C49S, #12/14/16. I tie a range of patterns on these scud hooks.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Daichii 1100 size 22 I just burned through another box
    Mustad 94840 size 14 is what I go through most of the time.

Joe Fox

Mustad 3399A #12 followed by the #10 and #14. A #12 midge pupae is my favourite pattern lately in stillwaters. No hatch, mayfly hatch, etc., it just works. The naturals are #16-#20.

Not that I think I really need to go smaller but I'm going to start half-tying patterns for fun. This way I can use my #16's to get a sub 20 size.

7. Default

Kamasan B175 & B110, size 12.... around 1000 a month, as i tie mainly for small stillwater anglers.

Andy

------------------
    "My fishing is no longer an obsession, an addiction, or a mania; it's much more than that!
    " - Dave Micus

8's & 14's (5263 TMC 8's for Deer Creek Ploppers in different colors), & 14's for such wet flies as the Pregnant Peacock, Apache Peacock, & Apache Renegade.

The next are 20's & 22's (especially for BWO's).

Doing the commercial tying as well, the same sizes go fast. Ya would think a standard 16 dry, but surprisingley(sp) no !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread