+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you tie this?

Default How do you tie this?

Saw an egg sucking leech on FlyDepot.com. Bought one this weekend at local store and it was a good fly for Big Lake, AZ. Came apart on first fish tho. I fished it till noon with a loose feather which made it about a 1.5" streamer on an egg sucking leech. Did well....but don't know how to tie it. The one on FAOL is finished off with a head of thread at the eye. The one I bought....a Purple Egg Sucking leech, had hot pink chenille for the egg, black chenille for the body, purple tail and hackle. But I could not tell how it was tied or finished! I could not see where it was finished off.....beautiful fly. The pink egg went all the way to the eye of the hook. How did he do this?

Gem

Try these instructions:
    [url=http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_tying/egg_sucking_leech/egg%20sucking%20lech.htm:aadcb]http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_tying/egg_sucking_leech/egg%20sucking%20lech.htm[/url:aadcb]
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

A quick search in the archives from this site produced this recipe.
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/102599fotw.html:cb1f2]http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/102599fotw.html[/url:cb1f2]

[This message has been edited by DUB (edited 18 September 2005).]

This is rather interesting . I just looked at both of the suggested instructions and found out that I'm doing it backwards . I tie the egg on at the head first , and then tie the rest of the fly up to the egg . Seems simpler than those methods to me and might be worth a try for you .

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

Diane, thanks for the website and info. I really like the sites that show step by step instructions with tips. The fly at the Buckeye site is yarn that is snipped down to look like an egg. I like it. I printed it. I added the website to my favorites. But....the one I am interested in looks to have a chenille head and body.

Dub....I already saw the one on FAOL....I mentioned it in my post. It is the one with the visible thread head that I was trying to avoid.

2 Bead....your post makes me think I was thinking about right. I was wondering if it is hot pink chenille tied in First, THEN the tail and body tied up to it...and then a very skillfull tie off between the head and body? 'Methinks I have to cut one up to try to see how it was done.

The one I purchased looked like:
    Go to:
    Flydepot.com/flyfishing
    click on Leeches-left menu near bottom
    click on Page 2
    Click on Egg Sucking Krystal Bugger Purple
    Click on enlarge below the pic.

Thanks all for the comments.

Gem

[This message has been edited by Plain Old Jim (edited 18 September 2005).]

I tie my fly like the one Dub showed without copper wire ribbing and no thread at the eye. The ribbing would help to add life to the fly. Cant believe anyone would use egg yarn on the fly as shown in the other pattern when all you need is a couple wraps of chenille.

If you dont want thread at the eye tie the body chinelle and hackle up toward the front leaving space for the egg then wrap the thread to the eye add egg chenille wrap thread and egg back and tie off between egg and body.

------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by William Fitzgerald (edited 18 September 2005).]

Thanks Bill, I think that is the way I want to try it.

Gem

Fishbum,

Thanks Mucho Graceeeoooos amigo. I am a rookie tier. Only tied a dozen for the Al bench. I really like the "Step by Step" instructions you provided, as opposed to just a list of material.

I have a rotary vise. I bought a Griffin Patriot....per advise of local fly tying instructor who said it was true rotary. Yeah, as long as you keep it horizontal. ($169 plus taxes plus S&H through HIM.....later see it at Sportsmans Warehouse for $119...no S&H!) It is a straight line vise. Soooooo....I decided I want to LEARN on a rotary.....from the get go. So I bought another Griffin....Montana Mongoose.

Appreciate your taking the time and the info more than you can know.

Thanks again,

Sincerely,

Gem

Leeches at Big Lake are surely deadly drifted off the float tube !!! For the egg, you can use a large red or hot pink glass bead (helps the sink,along with fishing it on a full sink), I get these at Michaels Craft shop in Tucson; also a hot pink crystal chennille tied up front like an egg works real well. For the body, I've used such combos a canadian blood mohair picked out.
    Another of my go-to patterns on Big Lake is the Gold Bead Olive Carey Bugger. Fished off the float tube (slow-stripped) 14 to 16 feet deep on a full sink has always hooked the big ones !!!

Tight Lines !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread