+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five Minute Epoxy

Default Five Minute Epoxy

Hello Everyone,

First off I would like to thank you for looking at my post and hopfully helping me out if you could. Today I went to the local hardware store and purchased some 5 minute epoxy. I have read somewhere on the internet that I can use this on my flies so I thought why not and finally bought some today. Now my problem is I received 2 bottles of the stuff, one of these is a epoxy hardener and one is a epoxy resin, the directions say to mix the 2 up and than apply it. So my question is should I combine these or should I just use one or the other, and if you think you can help me solve this mystery any help would help me right now.

Thank You

Blog Entries

xisintheend,
    You have to mix both together or it will not harden. Be sure to get equal amounts of both the epoxy resin and the hardener and mix well.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Ohh thank you for clearing that up Steve, you seem to know what I meant, so I will go ahead and try it right away. I also just went on the Cabelas website and looked up their epoxy, they sell the stuff in 2 bottles as well but it only costs 5 times more to buy it from them. I don't know if its any better but I'm hopping my stuff does the job.

Marko

Quik tip:
    Rotate the fly that you have aplied epoxy to or else the epoxy will run.

You can when you get better using the stuff can heat it up with a blow dryer on high heat and in will thin to almost water but will dry very quick.

The bad news is that the 5 minute version sets fairly quickly, so be ready to apply the epoxy almost as soon as you mix the resin and hardener. The good news is it sets fairly quickly so don't have to manually turn the fly for half an hour waiting for the epoxy to set (if you don't have an epoxy drying wheel).

Good luck and have fun,

tt

Thank you all,

I just tied my first copper john and used that epoxy on it. I had to tie it on a #10 streamer hook because I did not have any bead heads for my smaller hooks! The epoxy pretty much looks dry and it looks pretty professional looking, just the epoxy part looks professional not the rest of the fly.

Marko

xisintheend;
    Bet you it will still catch fish!!
    interesting handle!! how did you come by it?

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Don't forget that you should limit your mixing to just stirring. Don't whip the mixture up like you're making scrambled eggs or you will get air bubbles mixed in. Also, you can lower the viscosity of the mixture by adding a very small amount of lacquer thimmer if you wish.

[This message has been edited by Ray Kunz (edited 17 September 2005).]

teasels,
    When you use high heat have you ever had trouble with the epoxy curing?
    Since the way to break the cured epoxy bond is to use heat I've been afraid to use "HIGH" heat to do what you say. I guess I could just do a trail run test. Of course you haven't had trouble or you wouldn't have suggested it.
    Might mention for anyone not used to epoxy ...that room temp. effects curing rate.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 17 September 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread