+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A couple more yarn baitfish

Default A couple more yarn baitfish

I've been tying up more baitfish patterns from the yarn I picked up at a thrift shop. When unweighted, they have a very nice slow sink rate and the yarn has amazing fluid action in the water. Since finding this yarn, I've done some research and there are loads of different options for yarn very similar to this which would work great. Do a search of jumbo single-ply yarn and you'll see how many there are from a variety of fibers. Many/most of these can be found at your local JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels. The larger streamer on the top is tied on a size 2/0 Ahrex Predator PR378 Swimbait hook and the others are tied on size 1 Ahrex Predator PR378 Swimbait hooks. https://gifyu.com/image/SQBWL

Nice looking flies.
    Rick

Thank you for the kind words Rick. The bass here in Central Florida tend to like larger baits and as much fun as it is to fish top water, I have more luck with streamers.Jim Smith

Nice patterns Jim. Looks like you have enough yarn to tie huge schools of baitfish. Jim where did you get those yarn cards -- are they cardboard or plastic? Dennis

Those look great, Jim!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dennis, Thanks for the kind words and yes, I suspect that I have enough yarn to make quite a few streamers. The cards are about 3 1/8" tall and made from heavy cardboard. They have a glossy finish on one side. They work great for holding enough material. I got 50 of them off Etsy for $9.

Thanks for the info Jim. Dennis

+ Reply to Thread