+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: furled leader material question

Default furled leader material question

After reading the two recent threads about furled leaders, I have decided to try to give it a go. I spent this morning building my leader jig, and now I have a question about what material to use. Most commercially available furled leaders seem to be made out of mono, yet it seeems as if you guys are using Uni 6/0 or 8/0 fly tying thread. I want to build my leaders for both my 3 wt and 5 wt rods and will be fishing in northern Akansas for trout. Which line, fly tying thread or mono, would be best for this type of fishing? What size or pound test of mono would you reccommend if I go in that direction? What color fly tying thread do you prefer should that be the direction I head off in? Sorry for the number of questions, but I know of no better source of imformation than here at good ole FAOL.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, James

[This message has been edited by 4beader (edited 25 March 2005).]

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, James, but I've had good luck with polyester thread (under $3 for a 6000 yard roll at Wal Mart). So far, it works great with wooly buggers, but it does absorb a lot of water really fast. I'm experimenting with floatants now. Good luck to you!

Mike

------------------
    If it is to be, it's up to me.

Yes, you can use sewing thread, or even fly tying thread (more expensive), or you can even use tippet material. It is all is different kinds of thread. In the Tying Tips I wrote everything you would need to know on choosing the right thread for whatever you have planned....fly tying, making furled leaders, or repairing a tear in your fishing vest. Knowing which thread is best for the job helps, all thread is not created equal, each has unique characteristics that make them better for somethings than other things.

Parnelli

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.html:9a6f3]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.html[/url:9a6f3]

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 25 March 2005).]

I apreciate the responses, they are helpful, but my questions remain, what colors of fly tying thread do you prefer and what size of mono would be good for a 8 foot leader?

Again, thanks, James

James
    I have used 2# mono to make leaders. Any larger, and the leader looks more like a rope. For thread colors, I use olive, Flo orange and yello. The flo colors act like a strike indicator. About any color will work...try a few and see what YOU like...that's half the fun!
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

James
    I've been fooling around with furled leaders for a few years now. IMO the best all around material to make them out of is either .004 or .005 Nylon Quilting thread that can be purchased in the sewing department at Wal-Mart. This is especially true if you're going to fish light tippets for Trout. The thread leaders have little or no stretch to them, whereas the ones made out of the nylon thread will give a little (like a shock absorber) thus helping to protect a light tippet. If you treat them with Water Shed, they'll float like a cork.
    Just my .02 cents.

Hi,

Having built well over a thousand furled leaders over the past ten years I have some strong opinions on this subject.

First let me state that every different thread will produce a leader with different final characteristics. By different thread I mean: brand, material, size, thread construction and waxed or unwaxed. Exmples: Danville will produce a softer leader and weaker leader than does Uni thread, Waxed will produce a stiffer leader than unwaxed, Kevlar generally produces a stiff leader, leaders made of mono will retain some memory and defeat many of the advantages of thread furled leaders, and on and on,

Currently, my thread of choice for most
    trout applications, is 6/0 UNI Thread. I may use 3/0 or 8/0 for special applications. When strength is a major concern, leaders can be made of Kevlar or the super strong spun gel threads but these materials do not stretch and therefore do not protect light tippets. I have used monofilament thread but I don't recommend. Some monofilament can be used for salt water furled leaders where presentation problems differ. As with threads different monofilaments affect leader preformance. I don't think much of the mono sewing or tying threads.

Color is a matter of personal choice. A colored leader has little adverse effect on the fish. Trout and other fish are continually exposed to flotsam and inert objects and are not spooked unless such objects move, cast sudden shadows, or act threatening manner. When a trout rises to a dry fly its window of vision is diminished to the point that the furled section of the leader is never seen. From the anglers point of view, however, a visible leader is a huge asset when tracking small dry flies in adverse conditions. In other words pick a color that you can easily see.

Regards, Jim Cramer

[This message has been edited by Jim Cramer (edited 25 March 2005).]

I have just made my first leader.
    What do you use to make them float without making them stiff.

HI Again,

Leader treatment: For dry fly fishing I recommend
    treating the dry leader with a good paste floatant
    such as Mucilin. If you don?t have Mucilin I have
    found that a good paste floor wax such as Johnson?s floor wax works quite well. What you want is a material lighter than water (floats) that will fill the grooves in the leader thereby reducing its overall specific gravity. One treatment should last most of a fishing day.
    I do not recommend water proofers such as Water Shed, etc. as they do little to aid flotation and tend to stiffen the leader.

JIm Cramer

I thank all who have replied. Jim, your answer is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Your information will be of great assistance to me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Remember, catching isn't the only measure of a successful fishing trip.

James

+ Reply to Thread