+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I need to buy?

brhokla:

The finishing knot I believe you are referring to is a whip finish. You CAN do it without a tool which is easy; or if you prefer, with one of the many tools available. I prefer a tool since I've been doing it that way since I started tying.

There is an EXCELLENT article by Dick Talleur in the current issue (Autumn 2005) of Fly Tyer Magazine that covers all of the whip finishing tools and how to use them plus how to whip finish without a tool. Try and get yourself a copy.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 12 September 2005).]

The whip finish is ILLUSTRATED in Al Campbell's tying series, both types and the hand whip finish is here: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ldy/ldy110298.html:cf161]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ldy/ldy110298.html[/url:cf161]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

brhokla;
    Check some of the tools like the bodkin or the bobbin threader and see if they have a hole in the end. If they do you can use the tool to wind on a half hitch and place the hole over the hook eye then just snug up the half hitch on the hook.
    I use that method on spinners to keep from tieing down the hackle barbs. The hitch will go in under them.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 12 September 2005).]

Blog Entries

Since you have a Bass Pro Shop scheduled to open up next month in Broken Arrow, you should have a painfully convenient location to buy what you need. Hopefully they will have some good staffers in the White River (fly tying) area who can help you out. They have a fair selection of materials and tools, at least here in Nashville. (Although I'm still mourning the closing of the Fly Chucker, a nearby shop, earlier this year. <sniff> )

+ Reply to Thread