+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Hooks

Default Bass Hooks

I am lost when it come to buying bass bug hooks. What is the best style and brand of hook to use for bass bugs?

Thank's for your help
    genben

Blog Entries

genben,
    I have used Mustad 37187's and TMC 8089's. They both work well for bass bugs, with the Mustads being the least costly of the two.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Genben,

Lots of good options. No real 'best', since it depends on what you like and how you tie.

Mustad sproat style hooks, #s 3366 and 3399, are 'standard' hooks that work well on bass bugs (or just about anything else where you want a standard length hook). The Tiemco 8089 is basically identical as to shape (sizes are odd on the Tiemco, though). I like them because they are sharp, inexpensive, and allow me to get keep the porportions right with each pattern across hook size range.

You can buy straight shank worm hooks and put bugs on them, they work just fine.

Aberdeen style hooks make great hooks for floating lures, they are light, hook well, and most have a longer shank if thats needed.

Most of the tackle making outlets sell spinnerbait hooks that work well for bass bugs if you need or prefer a plated hook. These tend to be a bit less pricey than hooks sold as 'fly tying' hooks.

There's a lot of personal prefernce that goes into this decision, but it's not what you'd call 'critical'. Sometimes you just use what you have most readily available.

Fish don't seem to care all that much.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:c2cae]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:c2cae]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I use Aberdeen mostly, but I have used mustad hooks and found they work well but I think the aberdeen hooks work just fine. If you are doing bass streamers you could use the aberdeens but weight them or otherwise it might not sink very well.

I use Mustad 37187 (usually #6s) for all my deer hair bugs and my Mudler & Maribou Minnows. I like the wide gap. I seem to get less misses on the WG than I do on Aberdeens.

my $.02

------------------
    Clint

Wise men still seek HIM...
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

We have very briefly used the Mustad 37187 and found them to open WAY to easily.
    We now use Tiemco 8089 and found it to greatly alieviate this problem. We use it for MOST of our spun bass bugs AND for most of our baitfish immi's for stripers and such. They are NOT good for trolling albies however. Without the rod in your hand, as in casting and puppeteering your bug, the 8089 will not stand the initial shock of many strikes and also open.
    Mustad now makes a C52S BLN hook which is wide gap and a bit heavier wire than the Tiemco. They too tie nice, but we have not fished them yet.
    We still place our "hook setting" confidence in the thinnest/strongest (ratio) wire we can get away with, which seems to be the Tiemco. (For us. )
    All that balderdash stated, we often just grab any hook that will work laying around the bench for concocting many bugs.
    .........lee s.

If you are tying Deer Hair bugs take a look at the Signature C52S BLN. This is a deerhair/stinger hook in sizes 4 - 2/0. [url=http://www.mustad.no/products/premium/signature/signature_catl/c52s.htm:027ed]http://www.mustad.no/products/premium/signature/signature_catl/c52s.htm[/url:027ed]

With it's chemically sharpened, premium point it hooks and holds well and is LESS money than the premium competition. The Signature hooks also offer the most durable premium points on the market today. Grab a piece of wood and see for yourself

The Classic 37187 is also a good choice if you are looking for a less expensive alternative. A whole lost of fish have been caught on the 37187 over the years. [url=http://www.mustad.no/products/classic/c_flyhooks/fly_37187_b.htm:027ed]http://www.mustad.no/products/classic/c_flyhooks/fly_37187_b.htm[/url:027ed]

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Fish (edited 13 September 2005).]

Don't forget there are hooks designed to be used for poppers, as well. The shank has a bend so the popper body won't spin or pull off the hook.
    Also, with bass hooks I think size matters most. Streamers on long shanks and beetles on short ones. I've used anything from size 6 aberdeens to size 2/0 for deer hair mice.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 13 September 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Well I'm not sure of "BEST" hooks...But I know what I use for the various flies I tye and fish for bass.

I Like a few styles The 3407 and 34007 for Sunfish imataions, Standard streamer hooks for the flies of that name and my crawfish flies,Some topwater foam bugs as well,Standard dries in the larger sizes are a must have, Mustad 3366 make great popper hooks and are cheap,I use them in place of dry fly hooks quite often as well as for deer hair divers,Poppers and sliders...

I don't and have not bothered with the stinger hooks that are pushed so often...I just don't see any real use for them,Especially when I want a weedless fly...Vertually any hook that you find to be the right frame for whatever fly you are looking to design will work, In most situations...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 14 September 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 14 September 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread