+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Minnow Immitation Jigs

Default Small Minnow Immitation Jigs

While I tie these for Bluegill, Crappie, and Tilapia, they also do pretty well attracting some nice bass, especially when they are looking for smaller prey items. I picked up a nice Mink fur hat at our local thrift shop so I decided to tie up some minnow imitation jig flies. I cut the Mink fur into 1/8" wide Zonker strips, tied them onto the hook, and palmered a hackle feather to the eye for the body. I prefer to use Mink fur for small Zonker patterns because it retains a fuller-looking body when wet as opposed to rabbit fur which tends to lay almost flat. I tie these on small jig heads that I make. These are tied on size 8 90-degree jig hooks. I crimp and epoxy a small split shot at the 90-degree bend, paint them with nail polish, add eyes, and give them a coat of epoxy. These little guys stand on their heads when at rest on the bottom with the hook almost vertical. They hop along the bottom when I do a retrieve of quick 2-3" strips of the line. This is an easy pattern to tie and very effective for big Bluegill, Crappie, and big Blue Tilapia here in Central Florida. When tied in browns and tans, they also make a pretty good crawfish imitation. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. https://gifyu.com/image/SIibS

Great pattern, James!Show us pictures of your Blue Tilapias! Those can get big!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice patterns
    Rick

This is a typical one, but I've caught some a bit larger. The largest was about 6 lbs https://gifyu.com/image/SIi9T

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that. Beautiful fish!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

jim, nice looking stuff. I tie something similar, I use small zonked pine squirrel for a tail and also take a couple raps around the hook shank for a hackle on larger sizes and loop dub pine squirrel on the smaller sizes. on the smaller sizes I use a 60 degree jig style hook with a slotted tungsten bead. I do the same on the larger hook sizes but use a longer shanked jig hook that Umpqua makes. keep up the good work john s

John, Thanks for the reply and the recommendations. I find these little jig flies to be very versatile and work well. Would you mind posting a few photos of the ones you tie? I'd love to see more of your work and get new ideas.Jim

jim, it will take me a while to photo and post so give me a day or two

Thank you very much! I've been using GIFYU to upload my photos and it seems to work okay.Jim

Very nicely tied Jim.

+ Reply to Thread