I am talking about hard fished streams and Spring Creeks. Not just any stream or river. That was the question I believe. "DO FISH GET WISE TO OR FLIES" on hard fished waters. Yes they do. I have fished back country lakes and caught trout on a bear gold hook as the above poster has discribed. I have also sat on the bank of a high back country stream and tossed bits of tissue rolled up in my fingers and watched trout take them. I have caught fish that were full of small yellow grass or flower seeds. Trout eat a lot of things and may take anything at one time or another. But there are streams and fish that have seen just about every fly that has been tied and had great anglers fishing those flies. They get smart to them and will not take them. New patterns may work or you may have to fiddle with them to get them to work.

Anyone that does not believe what I am saying let me know next time you are in my neck of the woods and I will be gald to take you out and sit on the bank and watch you get skunked. I have seen it happen to many of the best writers and anglers that I know of. They don't write about it but they sure remember it.

Heck I read all the time about guy's that get skunked on the Letort in PA. Why? Could it be that they are not good enough or have the right flies or for that matter the right color of flies and the right presatition. It all has to go together for a person to catch fish. That is why 10 percentr of the fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish.

I have taken 5 or 6 well known writers and a few TV fishing show people on guided trips over the years. Believe me just because people can write well or because they have a TV program does not mean they can fish well. That is a fact.

I fished tonight and did well. I also fished the other evening and didn't do so well. The other evening I did fine until a hatch started just about 30 minutes before dark. There were caddis on the water so I tried those and then some caddis emergers. I had a few splashes at them but no takes. I got to thinking about it and when I went back this evening I hit the nail on the head. They were taking a beatis that was a size #20. They would take nothing else that I threw at them. I changed flies a few times just to check.
The rancher that own's the land I was fishing on came down and was watching me and said that he had never seen anyone take fish that fast. I had 6 fish in 6 casts. Luck. He also asked me how I could see my fly as I was casting right into the glare of the setting sun. I told him I couldn't see it but I knew about were it should be and if a fish came up I would set the hook. Amazing how that works LOL.

I am one of those guy's that likes hard fishing. Going to a stream that you can catch fish at will is not my cup of tea. Or fishing over stocked, pellet fed fish is also not my style. If there isn't a challenge to the fishing I do then I would just as soon stay home and tie orders.

I believe that if a person takes the challenge to fish over tough fish he or she will learn a lot more than if they fish for what I call "Candy" fish. (Like Kids in a Candy Store. Can't keep there mouth shut)

That is the reason that I believe that fish "DO" learn what different flies look like and will turn them down because they have either been caught with them, stung by them or that fly has been cast many times over those fish by not so good of an angler.

Believe me I know how big a trouts brain is. But they can learn and they do. Nick a big trout with a streamer sometime and try and take it on that same fly again. Bet you can't do it within a week or two. They do learn form experance. So yes trout get use to flies and will not take them. I'am done. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 06 September 2005).]