+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: an extended body question

Default an extended body question

Hello,

There is a type of extended body that is made by wrapping long and fine dubbing on the needle with silicone caulk as the binder. It is said that it feels like rubber, is durable, and floats well. What do you think of its effectiveness as you experienced it? Do you have some tips to share about how to make it?

I appreciate your kindness.

It depends on your purpose. If only for catching fish, such pursuits are much too labor intensive for most perceived results. If for "the sake of the art" the more realistic you make it the closer you've come to acheiving your goal and anything goes because the critter will probably never see water . The best pursuit is to make some of each for it's own purpose. Good luck.

Al Campbell did one in the Tying Series with
    household caulk...check it out.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

LadyFisher,

Thank you for your information, but I could not find what you mentined but deer hair and antron yarn extended body by Al.

Hi Adso....I tyed next to a gentleman this spring that tyed this style of body and he was kind enough to show me the method. In a nutshell, the dubbing is wrapped around a needle mounted in the vise without thread. You build up the taper to the size you want then coat the whole thing in thinned down flexament, usually 2 coats. After it dries, just carefully slide it off the needle and tie it to the hook. The silicone might be a bit more durable but sounds very messy and I would think it would have too be thinned down some.
    If I'm not mistaken, the commercially available Tub Bodiz are made like this.
    I tied a few but have not tried them on the water yet.....good luck!....Jason
    ps....I think the rackelhanen site has a tutorial on this style

I learn how to do this from Ralph Graves, and I must say it is very quick and very affective. You wrap dubbing around a large needle, back and forth till you have the diesered thinkness/tapper, then coat with Dave's Flexament, carefully remove the body and then put in on the hook like you would a worm, through the hole in the middle. Tie it down and that all. To have tails you just add them after the first wrap.

Joe Fox

Joe,

To my knowledge(?), Ralph Graves was the first to come up with this method. I watched him demonstrate it years ago and the pattern he was tying was a Coffin Fly.

Allan

lchittam Guest

Adso the extended body you're talking about does work real well for hexagena mayfly we call willow flys here in Alabama. I used them this summer and caught many smallmouth on wilson lake. They did not hold up as well as foam patterns I have tied but I perfer them to the foam. there is a site that has the instructions at [url=http://www.thefishguy.net/tyingflies.htm:0cd6f]www.thefishguy.net/tyingflies.htm[/url:0cd6f]

Larry

Buy the C&F Design extended body tool, brilliant results.

I have seen the CF design in tackle shops, but it just looks like a dubbing needle with some sort of pink adhesive in a bottle. I am assuming a dubbing needle and maybe pva glue would work ok.

Following the above link, in the article he uses silicon which must be messy. I have always found silicon difficult to work with.

I have had some success using a mirror and pva white adhesive. Squeeze some onto the mirror and spread it really thin. (If you want tails, this is the time to lay them on the edge!) Let it dry which takes about a minute or so and it goes clear and a rubbery colour. Just use your thumb or finger to begin to roll it at the bottom edge and roll it up. It comes off easy and makes good looking bodies. I have experimented and included dubbing while wet which was mostly successful. They are a bit floppy so I varnish mine with hard as nails. Of course you need to use waterproof adhesive otherwise they wont last long in water. hehe. You may be able to include trout attractant but of course that would be cheating!!

All joking aside they do make quick and easy bodies, very lifelike.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

+ Reply to Thread