I like to mess around with different "non-traditional" materials when tying flies. I picked up a couple of colors of this Shimmer Vinyl on sale at Hobby Lobby for $4.48 for each roll. The rolls are 12" wide and 48" long, so you get a TON of material. I applied this very thin vinyl to a piece of 1/8" thick craft foam to fabricate this minnow pattern. A simple pattern where I tied in the tail material, and cut the foam to size (with the vinyl already attached). and superglue the foam in place. I touched it up a bit with a marker to give it vertical bars and gills, added 3D eyes, and gave it a coat of UV epoxy. I just threw this one together to see if this stuff would hold up to the epoxy coating. For some reason, the epoxy eliminated the shimmer, but it made the vinyl into a shiny silver blue mirror which looks great. I think that this material may have lots of applications at the tying bench so I thought I'd share it here in case there are any other folks interested in messing around with this stuff.

Mirror Vinyl Minnow.JPG