Sometimes, I like to try different materials and ideas at the vise, just to see what I can come up with. While this isn't a different material in that it is closed-cell foam that is precut into the shape of fish scales. I found it on sale at Hobby Lobby for $1.24 for 50 pieces, so I thought I give it a try. So far, I've tied up some terrestrial patterns that I just call Funky Fly, and some stream patterns. Funky Fly casts fairly easily, sits properly on the water and presents a good-sized target so don't be surprised if you pick up bass as well as other panfish. I suspect that it would also work for trout and other species as well. I tied these on size 6 barbless Grip hooks. I used a bit of badger hair for the tail, Black Crystal Tri-Lobal Hackle for the body, and a 3/8" piece of size small yellow Rainy"s Float foam for the eyes. I cut the fish scale foam into wings and tied them in behind the eyes. I added a dot of black marker as the pupils. Very easy to tie and it floats like a cork. I also tied up some streamers using the fish scale foam as a lip. These are a sinking pattern and they look great in the water and work much like a Jerk Bait on the retrieve. The fishing's been a bit slow since the hurricane came through here and muddied up the water, but both of these patterns cast well and look excellent in the water. Just thought I'd share some ideas for those of you who are preparing for your winter tying sessions.

Jim Smith
Fish Scale Foam Flies.JPG