+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have Flies Gotten Larger or Smaller?

Default Have Flies Gotten Larger or Smaller?

Okay, I doubt that there is scientific evidence, although if there is any it is certainly welcome, but have you noticed whether mayflies have gotten smaller or larger. Now I'm talking about what you have personally observed comparing the same family of flies on the same river/stream over a period of time.

Opinions and scientific studies welcome.

Allan

In the New England area I may be listening to the wrong, non-qualified folks but I sense that more are commenting that mayflies are smaller than years ago but also that there are fewer of them. Maybe it could be related to a change in water chemistry, aka pollution.
    You hear more about caddis flies nowdays but that could be a result of more guys paying attention to them.

Allan,

I am not aware of any scientific studies either proving of disproving this phenomenon.

I do note the following:

- We, as tiers and anglers, generally try to imitate the naturals in size, proportion and coloration.
    - This desire to imitate nature is not something of the last couple years, but has been around for as long as folks have tied flies to fool trout.
    - Sticking to the Catskills region and its flies as an example, fifty years back the (may)flies which were tied and fished, and which I must assume were tied to imitate the insects observed in, on and above the water, were mostly tied on #12 hooks.
    - These days I would say the most popular hook sizes used to imitate the same naturals, and tied in the same patterns as five decades ago, are mostly #14-16.

Did the size of the naturals shrink?
    Were the flies tied and fished 'then' deliberately or accidentaly 'super-sized'?
    Do we tie and fish imitations today which are a smaller size than the insects we try to imitate?

I dunno, but I sure am intruiged

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

This is not scientific, but I know one thing for sure. I have gotten larger. This may have resulted in a skewed perception that the flies have gotten smaller. My eyes have gotten worse though, so that may result in the eyes of the flies I fish seeming smaller, so maybe it all balances out. But in answer to your question, yes.
    Eric

Hans,

Just a comment about what is 'observed' and what is tied(used).

I and another FAOLer have been on a certain river on numerous occassions when large, and I mean LARGE, mayflies were coming upriver. Some were flying in a sort of uploop/downloop style and some were flying straight. I captured one and the body(dark brown) was easily a full inch long. The wingspan was at least 2 inches, the wings were transparent with a black leading edge and veiny. The 2 tails were every bit of 1-1/2 inches.

The point I want to make is that you cannot tie a good pattern for that fly is you want to use hackle. This is a perfect example of a fly that, while not going unnoticed, will go uncopied(new word). Maybe people tie size 14 simply because hackle is much easier to get in the smaller sizes?

Allan

Allan, I was on Penns Creek this summer and there were some absolutely huge March Brown spinners around. The fish weren't quite on them yet, but I hear that when they are it's gangbusters. So there is another argument for some BIG flies. The Brown Drakes and Green Drakes on Henry's Fork are another. It is a shame that we don't have readily available sources of big hackle. Even tailing on regular size flies is a real problem, and I've gone to Coq de Leon.
    Eric

Allan,

I was not suggesting there were no super-size bugs out there.

Let me try again:
    In the 1950's a Red Quill was routinely tied and fished in a #12. Today, imitating the same naturals, it is generally tied and fished in a #14-16.

I am wondering what made the tiers and anglers shrink the imitation?

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------

Here in my end of Missouri we get a large Sulphur mayfly, about 1-1/2 inches long with very bright yellow color - they're fairly thick around our favorite lake every year. I've not realized any change in their size or color, I've only observed them for a few years and only fished them about 1 yr without much luck, in warm-water. This last year I've seen 2 smaller mayflies which was a surprise, one was the same yellow color and the other was somewhat olive colored both probably 1/4 inch long. I've only seen one of each of the smaller ones. My thought is that they've probably always been there, I just never noticed them before.
    ---
    Probably should mention my tying technique. I use wool for a heavier thorax and pull out quite a bit instead of trying to get the hackle to work. I also used pheasant tail barbs for legs once which didn't seem to work. I've given some thought to an inverted parachute style (horizontal hackle on bottom) to see if that would work.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 02 September 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Hans,

Last sentence of last post and especially in commercial tying.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 02 September 2005).]

Allan,

I read the sentence, but have a hard time accepting that finding hackle to tie #12 Red Quills (or other #12 patterns) is difficult and that folks are forced into tying #14/16 'runts' against their will.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------

+ Reply to Thread