I know there has been much discussion on this board not trying to open up a can of worms. Buuuuut I cannot sleep, its 1:30 and this will be somewhat of a rant.

This past summer I've studied and totally focused my tying efforts to that of the traditional catskill style of tying as described by Harry Darbee. I visited the Catskill museam not long ago and really studied the dry flies on display there, I also baught flies from Mary Dette's shop. And I have some flies tied by her parents. Anyway the thing that I think is key to tying these patterns is the short body. Does anyone agree with this or notice that the bodies of flies tyed by some of the older "masters" have a short, stubby looking body?

To me the smaller body allows for the hackle to be more midway down the shank and therefore exposing a small part of hook shank just before the eye. I've heard all the theories on why thats there and I think, or in my flies anyway it helps with the proportions and performance of the fly.

I guess my main questions here is does anyone else feel the way I do about the short body? Am I wrong and the body should be long and slim?

Thanks and hope noone is too sick of talking "catskill tradition"

Doug