This weekend I wanted to fish a white clouser and the only one I had with me was one that I had bought several (many?) years ago. I thought it was just a white buck tail clouser will a little bit of flash in it. The flash was the thin, stiff plastic stuff about the thickness of buck hair. I use a lot of it but I'm not sure the name of the material - flashabou maybe??

Anyway the color of the flash was basically clear. It blended in with the hair well enough that I didn't pay any attention to it when I tied on the fly. It was a standard commercial fly, so the material shouldn't been anything too fancy, but I don't know what it was.

However, in the water the flash changed color and was a chartureus green color. It reminded me of the effect that you can get with a plastic worm by dying the tail. Basically, it looked like a white clouser with chartruese tips. It was working very well, that is until I lost it.

I don't know what the color of this flash is called, but I would love to get some and start using it in some of my own flies.

Has anyone used this type of flash before, that turns green in the water? Does anyone know what this material might have been?

Now I wish I had stopped fishing the fly and kept it so that I could find out what was in it. Oh well, it is hard to stop fishing a fly that is working!

Thanks,
Rex