+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Related to 'Trimming Hackle' thread

RW,

Thanks for the research. The concrete bits you have uncovered appear to be pretty recent, as in the 1970's. Interesting.

The descriptive phrase is there. I guess the next step might be to tie a descriptive name to a more specific set of attributes. Onwards we plod...

On address: why not email to me?

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

JC, RW here,

The Green Mountain Boys were a group of Vermont militia formed by Ethan Allan in the late 1700's that defended their claims for land against New York. Some say they were just inside the law...or outside depending on who's doing the telling. I guess you could say they were close to being vigilantes and their methods and tactics were questionable but they are part of the historical and romantic history of the state of Vermont. History says they never took a life but rather worked through intimidation.
    Robin Hood types, I guess.

Green Mountain this and Green Mountain that is applied to lots of things (even coffee) in New England because of that history. So I wouldn't doubt that there is even a Green Mountain fly shop somewhere in them, thar hills.

The Green Mountain Boys are as much legend in that part of the country as they are history.

P. S. Allan and I stayed at the Ethan Allen Inn when we tied at the Danbury show last year. So I think you can get the picture of the historical esteem in which those guys are held in that part of New England.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Jim Slattery Guest

I recall reading a book, I think written by John Mc Donald that had "Catskill school" of tyers in it. I think it was written in the 40's.
    Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:07d36]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:07d36]

[This message has been edited by Jim Slattery (edited 29 August 2005).]

Jim
    I think the McDonald reference you're thinking of is from his article about trout fishing. First published in the May, 1946 issue of Fortune magazine and later republished in his book "Quill Gordon" in 1972.

His refernce is to "...the peerless school of Sullivan County (New York) flytiers..." He goes on to name some the tiers that we're all familiar with.

BTW, the color plates found in "Quill Gordon" are not exact dulicates of the Atherton illustrations produced for McDonald's Fortune magazine articles on trout and salmon fishing.

Geeez you guys.

And I'm still trying to cast without gettin' wind knots....)))

Tongue-in-cheek...(catch the attitude)*g*

Jeremy.

Jeremy,
    Don't listen to them! They're all full of prunes. Here's the whole story!

It was in the first century that Peter and Paul met for a day or two of fishing after Paul messed things up in Thessalonica. Paul had to lay low for a while and since he was only a short distance from good trout water, he and Peter took off for the River Aestreus (or something like that) where they set up camp.

In those days fishers made their own tackle from scratch, using things at hand and it was no time at all before they had fabricated rods, lines and hooks. They then set about hunting for a cat with which to make leaders and soon had a nice one, all sliced up and Bloody knoted. (thus:the Blood Knot)

A Swiss reporter who had moved to the Netherlands was taking notes said, "Gentlemen, this is an historical event, what shall we call this place?" And Paul answered..."I proclaim that we call it "the place where we killed the cat"!

But as often happens this name was corrupted over time and was finally known as "Catskill", first in the Dutch and Swiss dictionaries, then in Noah's. (Noah the dictionary man...not the boat builder).

The next morning Peter said, "Dang! Where in tarnation can we steal a chicken for the wax colored feathers called for in the fly recipe book?

About that time a chicken came walking by and Paul jumped on him but missed the wax colored feathers from his waddles (whats a waddle anyway?) and came up with a handfull of stiff hackles.

"Where are the wax colored feathers from the waddles of the rooster" asked Peter...and Paul who was all scratched to hades said "This is all I got...snif snif before the SOB took off".

The resulting flies were a success and the Dutch/Swiss reporter said "What shall we call this new style of fly?" And Paul said, "I proclaim that it be called the "Place Where We Killed the Cat Style" of Fly".

A gentleman from Londinium who was working his way upstream was surprised at the catch and asked "What sort of bait fallacious are you gentlemen using? Oh yes, I see, the same fly as I. By the way, did my chicken come by here? Peter, who was enjoying a mouth full of souvlaki said... Nopf, didnpf compf pastf here!

The reporter had to meet his ship for the Netherlands but got hit with the boom and lost his notes overboard while rounding Cape Malea. So he didn't proof of the matter!

To this day, the Dutch are trying to sort things out for us so we will stop arguing about "The Catskill style" but there's no hope. I've thrown the curtain back and you can now see that none of 'em knows a darn thing about it.

Ol' Bill

Is that better, Hans?

[This message has been edited by snipe (edited 31 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by snipe (edited 01 September 2005).]

Snipe, RW here

By any chance was that reporter from the Netherlands named Hans?

RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

Snipe,
    ( -in my very best of British brogue)- I do say ol' chap, that was a bloody good bit o'spot on eh! *G*

Good'un Snipe....

And RW, I'm deftly trying to keep in Hans' good graces so I'm not goin' there.....*chuckl, 'er...Grins*

Jeremy.

Jeremy, RW again

Hans has broad shoulders. Trust me, he can take it. lol

Later, RW

------------------

Plus, he is really Swiss anyway

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

+ Reply to Thread