+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will a Castwell knot......

Default Will a Castwell knot......

Will the Castwell knot work and be sufficient to tie the tippet to the tippet ring of a furled leader?

Jim -

I'm a big fan of the Castwell knot for attaching lines to backing and leaders - the only knot for those applications that I have used for well over fifteen years now.

It has never occurred to me to try using it to attach tippet to a tippet ring. But I don't believe it will work. I think the Castwell knot works with flexible materials because it closes the materials to each other tightly and securely. I don't think that you can get that effect trying to tie a flexible material - the tippet - to an open, solid object like a tippet ring.

But - maybe it would work. I'd certainly be interested in what others think or have experienced, but a simple ( not improved ) clinch knot has always worked well for me for attaching tippet to a tippet ring, and the simple clinch knot is easier to tie than the Castwell, so I wouldn't be at all inclined to change even if the Castwell is an option.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thank you John. I tend to go along with your thoughts. The Castwell knot is indeed closing up on boaf flexible lines....not a hard ring.
    Didn't think of that....well I think I sort of did because I had my doubts and asked.
    I just purchased and received a Knot Kneedle tool. I think it will be good for knots.
    Thank you John

I just use a clinch know to secure tippet to a tippet ring. Been doing that for decades now.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

There are better options for attaching a ring to a furled leader than clinch knot which by the way I use all the time for most other applications.
    Do a search on this site for Attaching rings to furled leaders." Sorry I don't know how to create a link. This method in my opinion is even stronger
    and easier than building the ring into the furling process.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    Thank you John. I tend to go along with your thoughts. The Castwell knot is indeed closing up on boaf flexible lines....not a hard ring.
    Didn't think of that....well I think I sort of did because I had my doubts and asked.
    I just purchased and received a Knot Kneedle tool. I think it will be good for knots.
    Thank you John
    I have the Knot Kneedle & LOVE it!...So does my 87 year old fishin' buddy. There's nothing close when tying clinch & improved clinch knots.
    You made a great purchase. (just my opinion)

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Does anybody use Captain J's knot tool?....any opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ursFM-bnwvU

+ Reply to Thread