+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rene' Harrop No Hackle

1. Default Rene' Harrop No Hackle

I've seen the various videos containing tying instruction by Mike Lawson. I've also seen the frame by frame segments taken by Hans W. in the past of Mike tying.

Does anyone know if Rene' Harrop has published information on tying the No Hackle and where this information can be obtained?

I've been in contact with a couple of folks that have mentioned Rene' tying one on a Japanese Video. Haven't seen this video and don't know how well it is narrated, so forth.

My No Hackle flies are making positive gains each time at the bench. However, lacking side-by-side instruction from either Mike or Rene', I still look for information on creating the FULL wing, beautiful No Hackles.

Still my three biggest consistency problems are getting the wings WIDE, not having the far side wing from splitting at the bottom when making final seating adjustments to it and then completing the body up behind the wings.

Any insight as to whether there is some instructional works from former magazine articles or other media would be greatly appreciated in regards to Rene' and No Hackles.

Thank You.

RkyMtnGuy,

On pp. 10-12 in "The Fly-Tyer's Almanac" by Robert H. Boyle and Dave Whitlock, there are black and white, step-by-step instructions for Double-Wing Sidewinder (that is, No Hackle Dun) by Rene Harrop. However, it does not seem to be detailed enough.

Concerning a Japanese Video you mentioned, in that video, "A Letter From Henry's Fork Vol. 2," Rene demonstrates how to tie PMD No Hackle Dun (#16) along with his other mayfly and caddisfly patterns like Henry's Fork Caddis, Trusty Rusty Paraspinner, PMD CDC Last Chance Cripple, Flav CDC Biot Dun, and New CDC Thorax Dun. Actually, Rene ties three of them including No Hackle while his family (The House of Harrop) ties the others.

It is a really fabulous video. While there is additional Japanese narration when Rene is tying, the basic format of the video is that Rene narrates in English while Japanese caption shows up, so you will have no problem with enjoying it even if you know nothing about Japanese. You can just listen to Rene's own narration. Also, the video shows Rene's less frequently published innovative patterns.

But, because I have almost all the Mike Lawson and Rene Harrop's vidoes and book chapters available, I can say that Mike Lawson's instructions are far clearer especially for tying duck quill wings the way Rene and Mike do. Their technique is basically identical. However, If you may still want to have Rene's japanese video, I strongly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by adso4 (edited 29 August 2005).]

3. Default

Ad,

Question for you. In the 90's I talked to Shane Harrop via telephone as I had one of the House of Harrop catalogs in my possession. It was the one with the beautiful illustrations by Rene' along with all the various flies they tie, may unknown to most.

Do you happen to have that catalog or the Harrops contact information other than TroutHunters?

RkyMtnGuy,

To add to the references provided by adso4, here is one more:

Mayflies the Angler and the Trout by Fred L. Arbona, Jr. This book has an appendix on tying, and a pretty comprehensive sequence of Mike Lawson tying a No-Hackle.

I know you were asking specifically for a Harrop sequence, but can't do much harm to check out the above book.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

If you've got Mike Lawson's video "Tying Flies for Spring Creeks", you've got all you need. I have both the "Japanese" Harrop video and the Lawson, and their methods for tying the no hackle are almost identical. Harrop does't take the thread up, he just goes straight back and straight forward with it, but beyond that there's no difference. The rest of the Harrop video is great though, so maybe you need it. Trouthunter has it.
    Eric

6. Default

Eric,

I have watched almost all of the videos avail on the subject matter with the exception of Trouthunters video you mentioned. I think that is my next move.

Many people have their obsessions with flytying and the No Hackle is one of my own.

I've always tried to tie based on Mike's narration in the videos he's shown the pattern on yet it seems the problem comes with the application of pressure and crimping of the wings.

I think over the past few weeks I've been getting better and better at tying them. Atleast I'm more confident tying them and only still have a couple minor problems to resolve to say I GOT IT!

If I were to critique Mike on the way he did it in the video I think a couple of things could have been tried to add a bit more clarity. Would they have worked or atleast communicated the tying procedure more clearly?

One idea was to hold the wings between a clothespin so that the view could see the dynamics behind the thread wrapping.

Second would to be to use a MUCH HEAVIER thread or material to show the thread/bobbin maneuvers. Unfortunately, Mike states very clearly that much of the tying process is hidden from sight of the camera.

I know there are many people who would like to tie this pattern but even as simple as it is, there is still mystery and complexity behind its simple steps for many.

As far as making improvements on my own--a big, big problem was cutting the duck quill segments with equal curvature. Seems one would always have the beautiful curve going forward while the other was a bit more straighter adding some minor frustration along the way.

Eric, if you have the Jack Dennis' Western Dry Flies Video and have memory of the Lawson tying the No Hackle in it, did Mike in that video actually take the bobbin over the top of the vise verses below in the Flies for Spring Creeks and Tailwaters Video?

RkyMtnGuy,

Given that you point out the subtle difference between Mike Lawson's instructions in his two videos, you must be a perfectionist. I think you should have Rene Harrop's Japanese video as you may be able to catch Rene's tricks of trade for No Hackle Dun that others miss.

"A Letter From Henry's Fork" that eaustin and I mentioned above is three-volume video set. Masaharu Katsumata and his staff produced the set in 2002-2003 for Japanese audience as the ultimate final version that epitomizes Rene Harrop's fly-tying and fly-fishing techniques. Volume 1 covers where to fish in Henry's Fork and what fly patterns Rene used during Masa's fishing trip with him. Volume 2 demonstrates how Rene and his family tie six fly patterns including No Hackle Dun - mostly less frequently published ones. Volume 3 shows how Rene presents his flies. I got my set from 'The Riverkeeper Fly Shop.' Call Todd Smith (208-344-383 or visit his website ( [url=http://riverkeeperflyshop.com/:0b6cf]http://riverkeeperflyshop.com/[/url:0b6cf] ). He carries a lot of the House of Harrop products, and he must be a really good point of contact as I heard from him that he would marry Rene's daughter.

Concerning Rene's explanation in his video, Rene explains which portion of duck quill wings he uses while he says far less about how to maneuver your thread around wings than Mike does. Also, camera angle is not good enough to show the dynamics of thread wrappings "behind" the wings. However, seeing is believing, and you may be a more keen observer and catch what you have wanted to.

Lastly, after reading your post, I searched my flyfishing library and found really detailed explanation of how to tie No Hackle Dun in Rene's way in a Japanese magazine, "Fly Rodders." There is Rene's answer to the question of the Japanese author.

Q: What is the most important skill to make a beautiful "no hackle side winder"?

A: Take care to match right and left wings from right and left duck wing feathers. Trim quill segment wings from the same location on each feather to match curvature and provide perfect balance. And, pinch wings tightly between thumb and finger - first turn of thread is most important. Reinforcement of wings with flexible adhesive should not be applied until after wings are mounted.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

[This message has been edited by adso4 (edited 30 August 2005).]

Sorry RkyMtnGuy for taking so long to respond. After taking a soft loop around the wings, Mike takes the bobbin back and up above the plane of the vise on his side, tightning things up just a bit (crimping the front of the wings), then forward and up (crimping the back of the wings and drawing them forward). He does this operation twice. The whole idea as I see it is to wrap the thread around the wings on as horizontal a plane as you can, because if you get too vertical, the wings don't stand up. They will lay back, more like the original Swisher-Richards pattern. I hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't, email me and I'll send you the video.
    Eric

[This message has been edited by eaustin (edited 30 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread