+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sceubby vs ntce

Default Sceubby vs ntce

I know this has been beat around a lot but I'd like to bring it up again. Do ratty flies catch more fish or is it an excuse for us less talented tyers? I have reached Ninety years and try as I can, can't reach anything as well as you know whos. How ever Once I learned fly tying ( some would say I never did) I always fished my own flies and have not felt handicaped. Does that answer my question? NO. What do you think? Pat

I have found that flies which are a little roughed up often work better. I have also found that serious damage to the fly, such as loss of a glass bead or broken and dangling ribbing wire or tinsel, will stop the bite. I have taken to applying more cement to thread-bodied flies with a wire rib, like zebra midge, to make the ribbing last longer.

Ted

i like a fly that uses a spiky or rough looking dubbing. i think the spikiness allows air bubbles to form on the abdomen, which helps to float a dry fly and looks like gas bubbles forming on an emergent or wet fly.

On the days that fish are hitting one fly well, I use all the flies of that pattern I have in the box. I feel flies that fish have hit work better than new ones. Maybe I fish them with more confidence, or it is just dumb luck.

Rick

I tie flies to catch fish period, and it has been my experience that flies tied that are scruffy and disheveled looking produce more hits and catch more fish. It's common knowledge that lions and other large predators look for the prey that stands out from the rest, the ones that have something wrong with them. They are easier to catch which saves energy and reduce the liklihood of being injured during the hunt. There is no reason for me to think that it doesn't work in a very similar manner for fish. The wounded, crippeld or damaged prey is easier to catch and for a fish it is a simple equation (expend the least amount of energy for maximum return). That's also why large flies oftern catch fewer, but larger fish. Just the experience of a relatively young 72 year old who tries to pay attention.

Jim Smith

Jim,
    I'm sure you & I have discussed my success rate on the lousy flies I tie. They look half dead (at least!) but they work!! LOL

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike, Somewhat like old guys huh! Hope all's going well for you Mike.

Jim

All the files I tie I call cripples
    and look the part very well.

I think its John Gierach that said that he ties them large so he at least
    he can see them not catching anything..

I feel the same way

Peace -
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

The way I spell nice and scrubby is an example of how I tie flies also Thanks for your replies. Pat

+ Reply to Thread