+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Know Better Than That!!!!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default I Know Better Than That!!!!!!!!!

Just shaking my head at myself... dug out some muskrat skins and cut all the dark hair from one entire skin. It makes a pretty good size wad of dubbing. But I could not find the carding combs and the drive band on the big carding machine is broken. I wanted to blend it nicely and by hand was not working. The coffee grinder is too slow and I am too impatient.

Then I remembered hearing about a plastic bag and a hair dryer.

Yup, a hair dryer.

The bag filled quickly but it still felt like a big wad instead of fluttering hair mixing. Then the bag slipped out of my hand...

Looking up into the mirror I realized I was caught in a snow dome of muskrat fur in great abundance! Shirtless, pot-bellied old man looking very sheepish is an image hard to forget.
    art

Blog Entries

Art,

I believe it is called OFS. Good to hear from you, at least a dog didn't eat it like it did the bird feathers from years ago.

Larry ---sagefisher---

That's a great descriptive story I think we can all sort of relate to in one way or another!
    Just imagine if you were sweaty...and all that muskrat fur STUCK to you?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    That's a great descriptive story I think we can all sort of relate to in one way or another!
    Just imagine if you were sweaty...and all that muskrat fur STUCK to you?
    Now you bring up the truly embarrassing part... yes, I was sweaty! Yes, when I got out of the shower this morning there was plenty of 'rat fur on the towel...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Art,

I believe it is called OFS. Good to hear from you, at least a dog didn't eat it like it did the bird feathers from years ago.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Good to hear from you, too Larry! That was a few moons ago, for sure. I did just get a bunch of those Mearn's quail and really like tying with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Just shaking my head at myself... dug out some muskrat skins and cut all the dark hair from one entire skin. It makes a pretty good size wad of dubbing. But I could not find the carding combs and the drive band on the big carding machine is broken. I wanted to blend it nicely and by hand was not working. The coffee grinder is too slow and I am too impatient.

Then I remembered hearing about a plastic bag and a hair dryer.

Yup, a hair dryer.

The bag filled quickly but it still felt like a big wad instead of fluttering hair mixing. Then the bag slipped out of my hand...

Looking up into the mirror I realized I was caught in a snow dome of muskrat fur in great abundance! Shirtless, pot-bellied old man looking very sheepish is an image hard to forget.
    art
    Nope....This:

https://vimeo.com/10793808

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Nope....This:

https://vimeo.com/10793808

PT/TB
    That system uses a lot of expensive cans of air for small batches... and the wad I had (it is somewhat smaller now...) was huge. I did not poke holes, either... mea culpa!

The story brought a few pictures to mind. Nightmares tonight.
    Good to hear from you.
    Rick

I'm sorry that I laughed at the end of your story, but only because I could picture myself doing exactly the same thing. When stuff like that happens, the only thing you can do is to laugh at yourself.

Best of luck. P.S. I wish you could have provided at least one photo of what you looked like after it happened.

Jim Smith

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    The story brought a few pictures to mind. Nightmares tonight.
    Good to hear from you.
    Rick
    Thank you for picking up what I was laying down! No need for pictures for you!

+ Reply to Thread