+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who designed the parachute adams?

Default Who designed the parachute adams?

I'm writting up some pattern recipes and I'm trying to give credit to the originators of the fly patterns....
    I was wondering who gets the credit for designing the parachute adams?

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

Hi John, Wish I could help, but I guess most are scratching their heads as am I. Waiting for some answers, could be interesting. Jax

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

me either...as with most pattern's....If they work,I'm happy...everything's already been done where most pattern's are concerned so I tend not to worry of who made or thought of what....I just fish em as those ppl intended them to be....Fished...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Al Troth made them popular, but I don't know if anyone knows who "invented" prachute flies

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi John,

My guess would be that the Parachute Adams had multiple, simultaneous developers. Once the methodology for securing parachute hackle firmly to the wing (thread post etc.) had been perfected, most of the traditional dry flies were probably tied in that style by many different tyers across the country. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Here's something I never knew. The parachute style has been around forever. It goes back before 1950, J. Edson Leonard extolls the virtues of the parachute in his 1950 book "Flies". He talks about it being new then, but when I fished in the '60s I was completely unaware of it. I think eventually someone just tied an Adams using that style, as it gained popularity.
    Eric

Eric,

The parachute design was patented by William Brush from Detroit, MI. His patent application was granted in 1931 in both USA and England.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Eric,

For some of us on this BB, 1950 is not "forever," it was, however, a few years back. You do raise an interesting point about parachute hackle falling out of favor in the 1950's and 1960's. It's just my opinion but I believe that the development of high quality, genetic hackle brought about the return of the parachute style hackle. The old Indian and Chinese hackles had stiff center stems that slipped off the wings and were hard to secure. Many of us tried parachute flies with less than satisfactory result. The genetic hackle with its soft, pliable center stem were relatively easy to tie in the parachute style. I don't think it's a coincidence that parachutes flies regained popularity as genetic hackle became widely available. Just my 2% of a dollar. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

+ Reply to Thread