+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Request for lawn casting suggestions

Default Request for lawn casting suggestions

Friends:
    I have been lawn casting at the local country club regularly for some time and am looking for tips from you all on how to increase my accuracy. Using mainly 5 and 6 wt. rods, and WF floating, Full sinking and Sink Tip Lines. I can get it out there to around 60+ ft. fairly regularly, and am perfecting my double haul. What I can't yet figure out is at any given moment there is an unknown amount of line out there, which is hard to gage. I would love to receive tips on how to make the transition between what is out there (?) and what I need to have to land in a given spot. I false cast towards the target to get a rough idea, but from then on it amounts to guesswork. Also, as I strip in the line, guessing is just about the only means I have to locate the amount of line still in the water before I lift it off the water. (So I don't rip the water surface) There has to be a better way ...? Any web resources dedicated to the improvement of accuracy in the cast?

Thanks in advance for all your comments amigos!

Migs

I just use permanent marker and mark every 10' of my line. First 10' get |, 20' get | |, etc... with a black marker. At 50' I put | in red marker, 60' get's one | black one again, etc...

You could always try casting to one of [url=http://www.lewisandclarkflyshop.com/praccasset.html:4df7a]these[/url:4df7a] to help improve your accuracy, although aiming at any object would certainly do.

It just takes practice, practice, practice. Before long you're hitting spots without even thinking about it. Kind of reminds me of when you learn to drive a stick - at first you have to really concentrate on how far out the clutch is and what gear you're in, what does the tach say...but after a while you dont even think about it anymore. You just KNOW.

I like Mozes idea. Marks on your fly line would help.

In Joan wulff's book she recommends the black marker technique.One line for 10', Two lines for 20', and so on. She also states: This will also help you if you switch casting to another fish and then go back to the first fish. Use the markings to remember the distence you were casting so you don't line the fish or over cast him.

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:baee4]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:baee4]

Migs...
    I think that you will find that the permanent markers ware off quickly and tend to mark other sections of your line. A better method is to take some backing (preferably Gelspun) and make an eight turn nail knot at the 39 foot mark on your line. You will feel the nail knot when it hits your finger and it will mean that you have 30 feet of line past your rod tip if you are using the standard 9 foot rod. You will have the prober weight of the line for that weight rod past the tip to load the rod properly.
    FFF Life Member #22

Practice Practice and more Practice.
    I still practice after nearly fifty years.
    One thing I do is lay out small objects [Saucers are good as they have a bit of weight and the wind leaves them be.]At different distances out from the casting spot and switch frome one to the other after three or four casts at each. It Helps a lot.
    Hve fun. Oh yes; Counting the reteiive loops is a good way to get it right. After a while you don't even know you're doing it. jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Friends:

I'm really quite pleased with all the answers. The knot on the line makes a lot of sense. The cast down low stopping with the finger does too (but it will take some practice not letting my finger friction slow the line too much). I agree that its all in the practice. I took a friend who has never ever fished before and taught him to cast. He could never get past 30 ft, and It reminded me of where I was once, on the parking lot of Bass Pro Shops taking a free casting lesson. Three years later so much seems so much easier. I'm glad I have kept up the lawn practice. I can even remember when a friend taught me to double haul. I'm almost at the point where distance is no longer that important, as is the leader landing straight and soft. Last week I was on a really deep lake where fast sinking lines are generally the norm, and started seeing "rise rings" , switched reels to a floating line, to a dry fly, and oh boy it was nice to catch one like that!

Tomorrow I'm going fishing to a mountain lake 15,000 ft. high. Rainbow trout. Of course, if you are all in La Paz, Bolivia sometime I will take you. I would be honored.

All the best amigos!

Migs

+ Reply to Thread