+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wired PT Flymph

Hybrid View

I tied some of these when you posted an image last summer and did well on the South Platte with it. Not sure what the fish thought it was, since most of their natural food here is smaller, but they were still willing to eat it. Usually fished it as the point fly with a baetis pattern under it. Great fly!
    Thanks,
    Ted

Nice fly but..."Flymph-A wingless artificial fly with a soft, translucent body of fur or wool which blends with the under color of the tying silk when wet, utilizing soft hackle fibers easily activated by the currents to give the effect of an insect alive in the water, and strategically cast diagonally upstream or across for the trout to take just below or within a few inches of the surface film." Definition written by Pete Hidy in The Art of Tying the Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph by James Leisenring and Pete Hidy.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

ron,

the definition I have always used is a cross between a nymph and a wet fly, leaning towards a soft hackle

ted, glad you had some luck with it. scg said it performed well in montana i believe it was, and my nephew up in connecticut sez it is now his go to fly. i usually tie it on june first and dont take it off until mid august, then use it intermitantly the rest of the year, seems to excel when sulphurs are active.

good luck

+ Reply to Thread