+ Reply to Thread

Thread: woolly grubber

Default woolly grubber

I've been interested in woolly grubbers since I saw the tails for them in a Cabelas catalog a few years ago. I am going to experiment with tying a few for a swap that I'm hosting here on FAOL. The only problem is that I have seen the grubber that Cabelas sells, and it doesn't look like what I have in mind for the fly. I've looked online, and done a search here on FAOL, and can't find a pattern for one anywhere. Anyone have any links or info?
    I'm going to start with the tail from a 1" chartruse grub on a #10 hook, using a conical gold bead head with chartruse chenille and hackle and some rubber legs tied behind the bead angling to the rear. Tied like a standard woolly bugger with a curl tail in place of the maribou. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, I've done it only without the cone.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 17 August 2005).]

Cone?? Must have added that after it's inception,It's a cabela's orignal,I used to look through catalogs for my fly pattern idea's...E'll I looked at anything that had a pic of a fly...lol..orignally It just had a tail and a chenneille body with a spun and shaped wool head....My bro in-law bought a few and later some of the tails..he liked them...I did just as well side by side with rabbit strip flies...you can cut rabbit strips any way you like from a whole skin,even shave and shorten the hair...Just some thoughts.As the tails were'nt, at that time anyway, Very durable.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill, I agree, those tails aren't very durable and I think fur strip tails are just as productive. Squirrel has shorter fur than rabbit and the darker tips make it take color with an interesting look. I like mink as well.

------------------
    Joe

"Cone??"
    Sorry I was in a hurry ...cone or bead...actually I didn't use the fly...gave them to a friend who thought spinning with the plastic was the way to go and I was trying to convert him....he swore the tail was the key.

The cone shaped bead head was my idea. The shaped wool head wasn't really what I had in mind when I imagined what the fly would be, so I guess I should probably call it by another name if I get an acceptable pattern out of it.

Duckster,

We both know ,It's really the Fly Rod , Thats the way to go!!!!....I converted a few into this sport...simply by fishing with them...they get sick of certian things happening consistantly....But , We all learn in our own way!! Seems that if you try and show/Presist or otherwise pressure anyone with "The Right and Proper way"...Most Productive I may add as well...They tend to close their eyes to the facts....I just go along and fish,Keep my mouth shut and Fish....lol...Never seems to take long for the questions to start rolling...and the wow I seen you do this..and I seen you doing that....Kinda funny really...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 18 August 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I've tied some just like you're describing for warm water fishing and they were effective on bass, bream, crappie, etc. However, if there are small bream around they will tend to nip off the plastic tail; they tear pretty easily.
    Joe

A piece of chamois or even rabbit pelt cut in a curl (like a twister tail), should be durable and still flutter like you want (and probably stay on the hook better too).

+ Reply to Thread