+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Line for Bamboo?

Default Best Line for Bamboo?

I just picked up a Headwaters 7' 9"- 2 piece- 5 weight bamboo rod. For all my fly fishing life I've been a dyed in the wool weight forward fly line kind of person. Now I'm wondering if maybe a double tapered line would be better for bamboo. I'm not so much concerned with distance anymore, but more concerned with performance. What would be the advantage of either? A WF or DT? My casting distance has been limited to 60 feet.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

One of the basic advantages of DT lines is that you can get twice the life out of them by just turning them around when one end wears out. The other is that they tend to roll cast better (easier?) that other lines. What advantage they may have with bamboo I don't know. Not familiar with bamboo at all.

I make and fish bamboo rods both single handed and two handed. I have never been picky over fly lines for bamboo. I do use WWF lines because the DT is not that easy to find. I do tend to prefer those lines made by Scientific Anglers over any of the others.

Jerry

The nature of bamboo is such that a number of weight lines within reason may be used. Depending upon the feel and skill of the caster, you may find a line one weight either higher or lower than the designed line weight may suit your casting better. I have several boo rods and I find that a different size line and shape (WF/DT) than the designed line weight makes a difference in my casting. I have a designed 4 weight boo rod that I find I can better handle with a 5 DT line. Suggest that you try several lines and determine what is best for you.

I have one I use a WF6 on it, seems to load much better to match my stroke.
    Smooth sweet grass goodness..

Its an excellent rod.

Stay safe
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 02-13-2022 at 04:02 PM. Reason: None
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Joe, I use a WF on most of my bamboo rods, the exception is the 2wt. With your casting style I would recommend staying with the weight forward lines.
    Once the snow melts I would be happy to stop by with a bag of reels with different lines for you to try. Maybe we can get Jeff to try a grass rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Joe, I use a WF on most of my bamboo rods, the exception is the 2wt. With your casting style I would recommend staying with the weight forward lines.
    Once the snow melts I would be happy to stop by with a bag of reels with different lines for you to try. Maybe we can get Jeff to try a grass rod!
    That would be cool.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    That would be cool.
    Yes. Yes it would!
    "If you don't loosen up that buckle on your heart and start to chuckle, your gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe" ~John Prine

Hi Jerry,
    So good to see you post! Will you be at any of the fly fishing shows this year? I would love to see you again.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have 406 lines on my bamboo rods, DT's on the 3 & 4, WF on the 5.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread