+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4x Bulk Fluorocarbon Spool

Default 4x Bulk Fluorocarbon Spool

I'm looking for bulk spool (200+ yds) of 4x equivalent, .007", fluorocarbon for tippet material. Any recommendations for brand(s)? Trying to save a few shekels where I can re-spool. thanks

I use and would recommend 4 lb Seaguar Invizx. Its fluorocarbon, spec'ed at .0065" (4.5X) and about $20 for a 200 yard spool. I have used it almost exclusively for my nymph fishing (which seems to be the vast majority of my fishing and tippet usage). I have used it for the last several years and have been very happy with it. I just carry the 200 yard spool on stream with a homemade shock cord spool retainer. I use monofilament tippet for dry fly fishing where I want more suppleness, perhaps fine diameter, and I don't need the abrasion resistance.

For a second opinion and more information, see https://troutbitten.com/2020/08/11/f...ve-try-invizx/
    Last edited by johnstoeckel; 02-03-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Seaguar Invizx is very good line. it's my go-to fluorocarbon for spinning gear as well as tippet material.

Jim Smith

Seaguar is a good brand. I would think any of the name brand fluorocarbon would do the trick. I, unfortunately, do not pay attention to the line diameter. I have spools of various fluorocarbon in 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 lb test that I use for cold water fly fishing and spools from 12 to 40 lb fluorocarbon that I use for warm water and salt water fly fishing. A 200 or 400 yard spool will last you a long time. I concur with using mono for dries. I'm not even sure they mono tippet material anymore. You can do the same thing, pick up a spool of mono 2 or 4 lb test for your dry fly fishing.

ive been using maxima 4 lb fluorocarbon for 6 or 7 years now. .007 dia, which should be 4x. been real happy with it, about $20 for 200 yards. i fish mostly soft hackles and nymphs

Like you I was looking for an alternative to fluorocarbon tippet and the 30 and 50 meter spools were pricey for what you got. I have been using P-Line 2 lb test which is about a 6x equivalent. I have not noticed a decrease in strikes.

Thank you ALL for your advice. Received my spool of 4x Seaguar Invizx today. I typical use the drop shot method when nymphing and hope to get the line down faster and at the level where the trout are. Tight Lines!

The thing I really like about fluorocarbon vs. mono is that its abrasion resistant and doesn't get soft from absorbing water. Its "working strong" -- stays strong after hours of nymph fishing.

+ Reply to Thread