+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most Difficult Knot

Default Most Difficult Knot

I sometimes spend my winter months practicing tying mono fishing knots on 4X tippet, but not smaller diameter tippets. This year I bit the bullet and practiced tying the blood/barrel that almost drove me to the asylum. I sometimes find myself having to re-learn certain knots that I haven't tied for a long time while on the river. YOUTUBE has been an exceptional help showing actual ties. Anyone else do this besides me?

I've reviewed several YouTube videos on various knots, but since I really only use a couple ( the Castwell Knot and the clinch knot ), those videos are interesting but not of any use to me.

An alternative source on how to tie a variety of knots can be found on the FAOL Website. On the menu on the left side of the home page, go to "Fly Fishing Basics". The first item on the list is "Knots". There are several "animated" illustrations, and quite a few more illustrations that are not animated.

John

P.S. In the for what it is worth category, check out "Jensen Fly Fishing" on YouTube for some really cool videos on fishing in SW Alberta CA and some foreign venues.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

I once tried to learn how to tie the Bimini knot in a live knot tying class our club had. As I sat there with my knees, my two hands and my mouth holding portions of the line the instructor then said something like "Now wrap the ..." My thought was 'How in the heck can I do that without more hands?' I figured out that the Bimini knot was not for me.

I know what you mean about having to practice every now and then. Since all of my fishing now involves a guide who ties all the flies on my line for me, I tried to tie a Turle knot a little while ago and almost totally forgot how to do it, and that was my favorite knot for tippet to fly. Had to relearn how to do it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I think the blood knot is probably the hardest for me to tie. I use furled leaders so I don't make my own leaders anymore which is what I mainly used the blood knot for. The only time I use it now is when I attach braid to the fluorocarbon backing on my spinning reels. That's fun since braid is very slippery. I got pretty good at the Bimini twist since we used it for off shore fishing. It's easier to do when tying it with 20, 30, 50 or 80 lb Dacron. I just had to get creative when making one seven or eight feet long. I use the improved clinch when attaching flies, lures or hooks these days.

I subscribe to the theory that the best knots are those that you can tie consistently well.

So if you're new to a particular knot, I think it makes sense to practice at home until you can tie it quickly and consistently. I've fished with some less experienced anglers who should have practiced knots more at home as they waste too much time on stream with knots. YouTube is a good resource, but I prefer AnimatedKnots.com.

I don't practice knots much anymore as I fish year round and stick with a few trusted basics -- perfection loop and blood knot for leader building (at home); triple surgeon's for tippet; and improved clinch for flies.

With regard to the blood knot ... I only tie blood knots at home using a Dennison Blood Knot Tool and generally with heavier material while building (or rebuilding) leaders. When I'm on stream, I'll use a Triple Surgeon's knot to add or replace tippet or just switch to a spare leader with a loop to loop connection.

I subscribe to the theory that the best knots are those that you can tie consistently well.
    Absolutely !

For me its the four basics

-Blood Knot
    -Cinch Knot
    -Turtle Knot
    -Why Knot

The why I use for the water thats looks non fishy, why knot give it a try anyway..
    I have caught many fish with the why knot.. Mostly in the foam seams ..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

If you watch the diagram on the Castwell on the FAOL files, it appears to basically be a bowline tied from a different direction.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    If you watch the diagram on the Castwell on the FAOL files, it appears to basically be a bowline tied from a different direction.
    Whatever you call it, the Castwell Knot is a simple, effective, durable, good enough ( s.e.d.g.e. ) knot to attach a leader with a loop to a fly line without a loop. It uses very little of the end of the fly line, probably less than a half inch, and will stand up to time and stress for a very long time. So much easier than a blood knot, tied without tools under just about any condition with enough light to see what one is doing, and small enough to come back through the guides without an issue.

That being said, it doesn't work with some fly lines, at least on the Class 2 full sinking line I use for streamer fishing and probably other such lines.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread