+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loop vs Split Loop?

Default Loop vs Split Loop?

When is it preferable to use loop vs split loop for hackling? Thanks

If I’m using deer hair for hackle, I like a heavily waxed loop; I get better grip on the hair than if I use split thread.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

i use uni thread, and it does not lend itself well to a split loop scenario. I have tried to use some of the twisted fiber threads in order to enable me to use a split loop approach, but always end up fraying the thread and get a big booger when I try to whip finish the fly, so I use the loop approach and do not have a bulky head on the fly ,down to size 20. don't tie anything smaller than a 20 because I cant see it

I like to use a split thread for things like CDC collars or small dubbing balls. I will use a dubbing loop for larger amounts of dubbing and larger amounts of material.

Split thread works best for small flies and fine applications where you want less bulk. However, split thread doesn't work with some threads -- Uni mentioned previously and I believe Danville. It's also more difficult (at least for me) and not really necessary for most applications. I use a loop quite a bit for buggy nymphs #16 or larger.

+ Reply to Thread