+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bench mounted magnifyers

Default bench mounted magnifyers

Getting a little older I don't see as well as I used to and I'd like to work on some smaller flies. All the bench mounted magnifyers I've seen don't seem to be of a very high quality. does anyone know where a better grade of these can be had?
    thanks,
    Rusty <><

I'm perfectly happy with the salvage store magnifier I got, but you might look at Ott.

The bench mount from Giraffe is a good one. I have it and use it for small ties:

....and high intensity lighting is just as important as the magnification.

This dually would make one heck of a fly photo station.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 13 August 2005).]

PCRusty:

If you don't mind looking like Atom Ant the on the head type of magnifiers like Opti-Visor are the ticket.

They never get in the way while tying; (I used to constantly bump my bench magnifier with my hand while wrapping materials), they are comfortable and adjustable, are available in different magnifications for different working distances and you can buy different lenses and swap them out if you so choose.

I have two pair at two different magnifications and at about $30 a pair it is way cheaper than buying an Ott or Luxo with a magnifier.

Just a thought?

I hadn't thought about the head mounted ones. that would also make it useable for other activities as well. Sounds like a good call.
    What would the mose useful magnifycation be 2X?

Rusty <><

------------------
    if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

[This message has been edited by PCRusty (edited 14 August 2005).]

PLEASE -- PLEASE go for the Optivisor by Donegan Optical. We have used these in our electronics lab for years and I've noted that many Doctors and Dentists also use them. One big advantage of these is that they have interchangeable lens plates for different levels of magnification. They are also made of real optical glass and not prone to scratching as are the plastic ones.
    P.S. I have no interest in the firm except as a customer and they are made in the U.S.A.

Just to be compelte in my thoughts here, yes the Optivisors (and other head magnifiers) are fine instruments. I don't personally like the clunky thing on my head.

The Giraffe benchmount magnifier in particular, has a rotating base fitting on the adjustable gooseneck arm. I don't use the magnifier except when tying midges and very small dries. When not needed, the lense gets its cover put on it and it swings away to the back of the tying table and is completely out of the way until needed.

My dentist gave me a headband magnifier with two sets of magnifier lenses. I tried them out and found that this headband magnifier requires that my head to be uncomfortably close to the vise.

However,the swing-away rimless Giraffe lens allows me to view the magnified image of the fly with no change in head position. So I have both options right here and use the Giraffe for now. Maybeas my eyes age, I'll need the higher power magnification that the Optivisors allow you to use-up to 7X.

Optivisors are used in the labs where I work and the techs rely on them everyday. Great product.

Rich

Rusty,

I have used the Mag-Eyes for several years and I like them very much. They are around $30.00 and fit on your head and are very light. I have tried several of the other magnifiers that fit on the vise stem and like JC states, they are always in my way and I always bump them. Something else you can try, if you wear glasses, is ask you eye doctor to increase your bi-focal strength a little and that may be all you need. At my last eye check up I mentioned to my eye doctor that I tied flies and she increased the bi-focal a little and now I do not use the head mounted Mag-Eyes as much as I use too. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

PCRusty:

The trick with the Opti-Visors is to decide on a "working distance" before you choose a magnification level.

I sat at my tying bench and measured the distance from my face to the vise when I was in a comfortable tying position. I then chose the Opti-Visor lens that gave me that working distance. They make lenses in everything from a few inches to a 20" working distance. Of course if you wear eyeglasses that will factor into the working distance.

If you are lucky enough to have a fly shop that stocks them you can try before you buy. Also don?t overlook a jewelry or lapidary supply shop; that?s where I got mine.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 15 August 2005).]

Hi Rusty,

Gretchen has tried every type of magnifier and has found the Opti-Visor to be the best for her. She got hers from a medical supply house. Take care &...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:3a89d]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:3a89d]

+ Reply to Thread