+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Missouri

Hybrid View

Default In Missouri

As I sit here looking up old flies ( big fan of mr Campbell) , years ago I was fishing roaring river in Missouri
    Saw a gentleman just hooking at almost every cast, I asked him what fly he was throwing? he said it was a ? hillbilly caddis ? to this day I can?t seem to find anything like that,
    All you fine Missouri folks- do you know this fly? Or maybe it goes by another name? anyways?- hello to one and all ,, guess what I?ve moved back to Missouri!!!
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

Oh and it was on a size 14 hook…

I'm from Missouri too and have fished Roaring River a few times but have never heard of a fly by that name. You might try Tim's Flyshop which is the main fly shop in that area.

Dave

The only fly I've seen that usually has that kind of response at Roaring River is the Crackleback. Tim, at Tim's Flyshop, would be able to give you a definitive answer. Welcome back home!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Yep, the Crackleback is hot in all the Missouri parks but I wouldn't call it a nymph. It's usually fished dry or stripped on a sink-tip line.

Check with Tim at his fly store. There is discussion there that indicates he may not only know something about this fly, but , that he may have created one by that name. Whether or not it's the same one, I don't know ... but, there's a chance!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Blog Entries

River Run Outfitters in Branson, MO - website says, "Crackleback
    One of the flies you see us mention a lot in our reports is the Crackleback. This pattern was originally developed by Ed Story of Feathercraft in St. Louis, MO. We thank him for such a great pattern."

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry, that little "fly" can be used anywhere!! I've never had responses in so many different states, and water conditions, as I have with this little thing. It's really a hoot!

Thank you everyone!! Oh yes I love fishing the crackleback, Tim’s is a great shop,,

Welcome back to Missouri! "You can take a man out of Missouri, but you can't take Missouri out of the man." Is that the right saying? ;o)
    Its funny..back in Iowa there was a group of 3 of us fly anglers on a local website that shared a lot of info. Separately, all 3 of us have since moved to Missouri. One has moved again, this time to FL. What were the chances?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread