+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jacksons Simple Softhackle

Default Jacksons Simple Softhackle

Aptly named; pretty basic but makes for a nice looking fly. Here’s his video if you’re interested.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
    thread - Danville 6/0 black
    tail - yarn chartreuse
    rib - small wire gold
    body - dubbing black/claret
    body hackle - black
    shoulder - hen pheasant

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I’m sounding a bunch redundant here but nice tie, again.
    You ever think about doing a few YouTube videos? I would REALLY love to see how you get your soft hackles to come out so nice and even, not to sparse, not too bushy. AND, how you get your heads finished so nicely.

You put up a YouTube video, I’ll put at least a hundred views on it……

SCG

Thanks for the kind words. For softhackles, a lot of the shoulders are tied in by the tip and the feathers need a bit of persuasion to lay down properly (mallard flank being an exception; I haven’t found any way to get consistent results. I just cross my fingers and if it doesn’t behave, I’ll take a hairdryer to it). For folding hackle, I’ve found Jay Nicholas method, using scissors to break down the hackle barbs, works well. I grab the tip of the feather in my hackle pliers and do it before I tie it in, but the process is the same; it really helps with stuff like chukar, waterfowl flank, pheasant rump, etc. I give Ms. Hansen all the credit for the heads.

When it comes to videos, even if I was set up properly, which I’m not (all the photos are hand held) I’ve watched enough of Davie McPhail, Hans Weilenmann, Ryan Houston, Scott Jackson, Michael Jensen, and others, to know it’s best left to them. It’s not easy for me to get it right first time, every time and YouTube is already full of stuff that is painful to watch. If I was adding something to the conversation it might be worth a try, but you’ve seen this all before.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-15-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Nice work, Scott. Not quite my idea of a "simple" soft hackle. For me it looks like it would be a great panfish pattern. I'll have to give it a try, though my inclination would be to tie it on a size 6 or size 8 hook.

+ Reply to Thread