Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to sharpen tying scissors?

Default How to sharpen tying scissors?

In by email:
    Any suggestions?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Just a few strokes on ouside edge of the blade using a diamond hone set on the edge of a counter so the other blade can be passed while open.

Available in Walmart or Harbor Freight.

------------------
    bubba_orvis

Took mine to the hair cuttin joint. They use a guy who comes by once per month and does everyones onsite.
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Draw a strip of 600 grit Wet&dry paper across the cutting blade, only pulling inward toward the cutting edge.
    Take two or three runs across the face, do the other blade, then clean the blades with tissue to remove any swarf.
    While you are at it file the outsides of the points to a needle point, to get into small hackle roots.

Works for me.

My soloution is to use the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker (Set) ~ 204

This machine is used on all of my pocket knives, our kitchen knives, camping knives and all of the scissors and shears too. You can get a video with it that shows how to easily use it on all the items you need sharpened-even garden tools and axes. There are grooves in the ceramic triangle hones that will sharpen hooks sticky-sharp too.

Well worth the investement considering the versitality.

Rich

What did JC do this time? LOL

Allan

Go to where you get your hair cut and ask who sharpens their scissors. Then take them to that person who will have the right equipment to do the job. I'm assuming that the scissors are expensive enough to warrent sharpening.

TxEngr

You can sharpen em...?..I've just replaced em as needed...5th pair for me....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

600 grit sand paper, apiece of glass, magic marker.or a medium diamond file. first marke the edge with magic marker. lay the sand paper on the glass .stroke the edge against the sand paper creating a burr on the endside of the sizor and removing the line of the marker only stoking in one direction when you have removed the marker from the edge evenly you should have a burr line inside the edge with lite presure with thum and fore finger hold the tips open as you close the blades. after closing open without pressure,now than, cut a paper towel. removing the burr, they should be sharp. you should be able to fell the right angle to hold the edge when you lay the edge against sand paper on glass.

AlanB Guest

Found these scissors in a local haberdashery wholsaler.
    They cost ?1:42 (about $2) at that price I don't sharpen them. When I tied commercially I would get about 1 years tying out of a pair.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

+ Reply to Thread