+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nor-vise as a new vise?

Default Nor-vise as a new vise?

Okay, first of all, I tie a lot. Started out on a Griffin 3ARP, then moved to a Danvise (original from Danica, not Orvis) whilst stationed in the UK. The Danvise has lasted almost 10 years, though I'm on my 2nd set of jaws. Just wear them out.
    I love true rotary. Once I started tying with the Danica, I could never go back to a non-rotary vise.
    Question for the fly tying collective here. My Danvise has developed a crack in the barrel and is having difficulties. Time for a new vise. I'm seriously thinking of the Nor-vise.
    The ability to rapidly spin dubbing and the like intrigues me. Of those who've used this vise for a bit, what are your feelings? Positive and negative. Also, sources. Did you buy directly from Nor-vise or elsewhere?
    Also, I travel big time with my vise. Will the lack of a permanent station hinder me? Should I go in and get the base and travel kit? I already know that I should buy the automatic bobbin to go with it. What do you do when you want to change threads and you still have thread on that bobbin?
    I know its a lot of questions, but with accessories, I'm looking at a 400 dollar investment.
    Frank Reid
    (note: I've searched and read all the back topics on this. I know that the vise has changed over the years, so looking for some updated views)

[This message has been edited by Flytyer37 (edited 08 August 2005).]

Frank,

I have been using a Nor-Vise for almost two years and love it. I swapped it for a Regal pedestal and some cash and it ended up replacing my DynaKing Barracuda as my primary vise. I actually ended up selling the DynaKing because ti was just taking up space on my tying desk. The nylon base that comes with the Nor-Vise will provide a solid surface for you to tie on when you travel, however, it will not be as portable as a smaller vise. This is the best true rotary vise I have ever used and when you get used to it (it took me about an hour), you can really speed up your tying. I also like it for tying streamers because it is so easy to flip the fly over to see the other side and keep things symetrical. Easy hook placement and holds hooks well. Overall, an excellent quality product that I am extremely pleased with and I would not switch to another vise. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

So, this means you probably don't wanna sell me your Nor-vise cheap, right? Hey, gotta keep up my standing in the Cheapskates Club.
    Frank Reid

Fly
    I have had a Nor for over 3 years and love it. But what I have found is either you Love the Nor-vise or hate, there seems to be no middle ground. If you do get a Nor my suggestion is to oppt for the off-set jaws with the camlock.
    Ghost

Talk with Ronn Lucas (email: rlucas@cybcon.com) and he can set you up pre-configured with the small jaws (offset cam) and oversize arbor (smoother rotation with the offset). I've tied on the Nor for 3 years and wouldn't go back for anything (regal and renzetti). Get the DVD/video and try each technique. It travels OK with the right bag (the base takes a bit of room). Absolutely get a bobbin or two.

Love mine. Been using it for about 10 years. Had three of'em and still have two of'em.
    All the jaws are cam-lock now, I think. Depending on what you tie, we have found the "angled" jaws to be the least useful....but then we seldom tie those "little specks'o'dirt" that troutoid fishers use.
    You can change the SPOOL on the bobbin. Or use white thread and colored markers....we get REAL lazy.
    You say you like (true) rotary. GREAT! Get the Nor, you will LOVE it. It will do ANYTHING any other vise can do.....and just a weee bit MORE.
    I am sorry that Norm is not a sponsor here, but he WILL treat you right.
    ........lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 08 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 08 August 2005).]

i don't have one but a friend does, and it will definitely be my next vice. i do have 6 of the automatic bobbins and i love those.

I'm not looking to get slammed here. I someday want to get the Nor-Vise. It looks like and outstanding product. I just sold my Norlander auto bobbin, however, and switched to Ekich. Expensive, yes, but worth it to me. Ekich uses the actual thread spool, and it is very easy to swap spools when changing threads. I have two of them. Simply a great product.

My Nor-vise is a wonderful thing!! I love it. You gotta get one.
    I bought the midge jaws very shortly after the inital purchase and would suggest that you do the same. I found that I was used to the angled jaws of a previous vise and found it difficult to tie small flys with the straight jaws (big fingers). I now tie all sizes on the midge jaws including salt water flys. I found that the small arm supplied with the jaws centers the jaws well enough so the jaws "spin" very nearly as well as the straight jaws and you can do all the neet things in the video.
    Don't buy the travel pack. A base is easily made fron $2.00 worth of shelving material found at Home Depot.
    I bought the bobbin but if I could do it again I wouldn't buy it. It is difficult to get used to and very hard to change thread. I think that I would buy the Ekich Bobbin (An FAOL Sponsor) if I could do it again. It looks like the "trick" way to go.

I've used the Regal, Renzetti Traveller, and the Dyna-King Signature vises....they've been sitting quietly in the corner since I purchased a NorVise last year...What a great piece of equipment...I'd buy the travel kit...handy way to protect your vise when you travel...You can buy extra spools for the auto bobbin...only takes a minute to load them once you become proficient..Norm makes it looks easy on his video...but it does take a bit of dexterity...It'll probably take an hour or so to get the hang of tying with the auto bobbin(you'll probably have to rethread 15 or 20 times in the first hour) but once you do, you'll never go back....So far I haven't found anything that the other vises can do that the Norvise can't, and it can do a heck of a lot more....
    Norm stands behind his vises and has been more than helpful in all the dealings I've had with him....I don't think you'll be disappointed...

+ Reply to Thread