+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting problem-Can?t shoot line

Start with a single haul. Grasp the line near the rod with your off hand. There should be little or no slack between the rod and your hand. Wrap four fingers around the line with the back of your hand facing away from you. As you start your forward cast twist your wrist rapidly so the back of your hand ends up on top or on the bottom depending on which seems more natural to you. This will increase line speed and pull slack out of the line if your timing is off. Practice this for a few days and then look at videos on the double haul only when you're sure you have mastered the basic cast. Look behind you and see if your backcast is opening up correctly; is fully opened up into a straight line, preferably parallel to the ground. Start the forward cast immediately when the backcast is fully opened. Remember your rod is designed to work with thirty feet of line plus the leader out of the tip. Less than that won't load the rod. More than that calls for more experience to cast. Practice casting that line and when you're comfortable with doing so just have some extra line in your hand you can release as the fly reaches the end of the cast. If you have accelerated the rod tip rapidly enough and made a sudden stop with the single haul it should shoot some line. Your rod is not one designed for distance fishing as it casts a light line (less momentum to drag out more line) and is shorter than many which reduces tip speed (shorter lever) but you should still be able to shoot line with it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

DWM.
    A 3# wt rod is NOT one with which you should expect to " shoot out" 50' of line. ( with certain exceptions). Apparently "they" missed my "limp rod" comment. Double haul all you can muster, if the rod can't take it, the line will wrap around your neck.

Mark

DWM,
    The answer to your last question, is an obvious YESSSSS.

DWM,

YES!

Mark

Lightbulb YouTube ... Orvis

I had a couple additional thoughts which might be of help to you or anyone else interested in the subject of your thread.

First, on the question of shooting line versus just casting longer using a double haul, I know that I loose some accuracy when shooting line. I much prefer to make a longer cast holding more line in the air while double hauling. Others may have different experiences they would like to share.

Second, I was going to suggest underlining your rod which may help you increase the line speed - before you mentioned that you are using a 3 wt rod. For longer casting, either just double hauling or shooting line, my preferred rig is a TFO BVK 9' for 5wt underlined with a WF4F line. Some people on the BB in the past have suggested that the BVK is too fast and overline it, but I doubt that helps them make longer casts.

The 3 wt will shoot some line, with or without a double haul. But it won't be the easiest rod to learn with, especially if it is on the slow side.

I did run across a couple Orvis videos on YouTube this morning, one on long distance casting shooting line without a double haul and one on double hauling. I wish I had seen these way back when when I was struggling to develop a decent double haul - being a visual type, these videos certainly would have gotten me where I wanted to be more quickly. Both videos are fairly short and are well worth the nominal investment of time.

One last thought. For a year or so, I had a spey rod - 14' for 8/9 ( spey line ). Just learning stuff about spey casting, especially investing a good amount of time in Simone Gawesworth's book and videos really helped my understanding and the practice of casting even single hand rods. The spey rod didn't work for the fishing I was doing so I gave it up - but the work I put into it was a real benefit and worth the effort. Simone's videos on YouTube are usually fairly long, but he one of the best in world and quite the entertaining personality on top of it.

John
    The fish are always right.

A suggestion: learn the roll cast and learn it well............I think its the most important cast to perfect. Best wishes

I would suggest you following the advice offered by Tigfly and Sagefisher before you attempt the double haul. The double haul is certainly worth while, but a little more difficult to master. The most important things for me, to shoot more line, is to properly load the rod from back cast to forward cast and let go of the line when the forward cast is stopped properly. Of course, as mentioned, lessons with a qualified instructor is the ideal solution. Welcome aboard!
    God Bless America

DWM,
    "Easier" and "distance" are relative terms in casting. No matter the # or size rod, without the application of casting basics (4 of'em-STOP the rod, NO slack, etc.), you will struggle for "ease and distance".
    ....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by DWM View Post
    I haven?t been able to figure out the double haul yet either. Any advice on that? Also, my rod is 7 foot 6 inch 3 weight. Would a longer rod or a heavier weight be easier to cast?
    Yes to both.

You won't be able to shoot line until you can make a cast in which the line bounces back towards you at the end of the cast. Hold on the line with your on rod hand at the end of the cast. That bounce back is caused by excess energy and momentum.

Then you can release the line by forming an "O ring" with your line hand as described below.

http://www.garyborger.com/2011/04/06/o-ring-line-control/

Last edited by Silver Creek; 11-25-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Have you learned to double haul? You may just not be developing enough line speed to shoot more line. You gain line speed in one of three ways: 1 you increase the forward acceleration of the rod tip2 you make a more abrupt stop to more efficiently transfer that momentum3 you haul on the line at the start of the back cast and the forward cast which is a way to load the rod further and increase line speed.You may also be wasting power by not keeping the rod tip on a plane. If it is sweeping through an arc you waste a lot of energy with an open loop. If none of the suggestions you have gotten here help you can try getting someone to make a video of you casting and post a link here. Have them stand on your rod hand side while you cast so we can see the full casting motion. Try to get your whole body and the entire rod in the video.
    Right on point !
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread